My Samsung S8+ is again broken. Customer "Service" in Bali does not have spare parts, they have to be sent from Jakarta. So, again I have to wait at least 3 days. Better call it customer punishment.

Anyway, I wonder if it is possible to buy a second phone, put my SIM card in it, and just continue to enjoy its use. Emails, contacts, calendar and photos are stored in the cloud, so, no problem there. But what about SMS, Whatsapp and Line conversations? How do I get these from the first to second phone? What about the progress and scores of games that do NOT upload the results to their servers? How can I continue to play them on the second phone without losing any progress?

Any solutions?
    05-04-2018 03:20 AM
    SMS is easy - SMS Backup & Restore. Back up from the S8, restore to the second phone.

WhatsApp, no idea, someone else will have to grab that one for you.

Games depend on whether you can save or export the progress to a file you can reach. (The operating system is Linux, so you may or may not have even read access to a particular folder or file.) If there is one, copy the file from the S8 (make sure you save the current state on the new phone, even if you only played for a moment) and put it on the second phone, in the same folder (overwrite the existing file). If the game doesn't save progress, you probably can't. We used to be able to use Helium to save the date for any app, but it hasn't been updated in 19 months, and CWM no longer exists, so unless there's an app like it that I don't know about (and I could really use one) the only other option is TWRP - back up the data on one phone and restore it on the other - you'll get all your apps, games, pictures, music, etc. But there has to be a version of TWRP for both your variant of the S8+ and the new phone.
    05-04-2018 12:26 PM
    Regarding WhatsApp... It's no longer installed on either of my Android handsets, so I can't recall exactly where to find it in the menu tree, but you can back up your conversations to Google Drive. Just hunt around in the WhatsApp settings menu until you find it.
    05-04-2018 12:28 PM
    Regarding WhatsApp... It's no longer installed on either of my Android handsets, so I can't recall exactly where to find it in the menu tree, but you can back up your conversations to Google Drive. Just hunt around in the WhatsApp settings menu until you find it.
    I got your back...

In the main Whatsapp screen, tap the 3-dot menu in the top right, select settings. Tap Chats then Chat Backup. It's pretty well explained on the screen at that point. It's also described on the FAQ page on the Whatsapp site, I just can't get there to provide the link due to proxy restrictions at work.

You can only have your number active on one device at a time (I discovered this when I set up my new phone in Dec).
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-04-2018 01:47 PM