Restart android apps

Marla Cox

May 4, 2018
Visit site
How to restart android apps force stopped qith no icon or wisgets shutting phone off/on and removal of battery didnt qork lgl44vl phone

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Apps will restart automatically when needed -- either when the system calls for them or when the user manually opens them. Which apps are you talking about?

Marla Cox

May 4, 2018
Visit site
Android systems, updates, phone, and basically all the apps that stsrt with "android" i was trying to download an app from playstore and it said i needed to make more space, so like i knew what i was doing, i went into EVERYTHING and cleared cache and some things i hit "force stop" i cleared data, im not really sure what all i did, but i had no business doing any of.it cause im not very techy. My ohone is working, texts calls etc, but i just got a bit paranoid because all the android stuf i hit force stop thinking i could restart, cause i didnt uninstall but now the option to hit resart isnt there

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think the apps you force stopped are system level apps. Basically anything and everything that happens on your phone is done with an app, including all the background processes that the user has no direct interaction with. This is similar to how in a Windows PC task manager, you'll see a lot of programs running that have no associated start menu icons and such. If you've force stopped them, I wouldn't worry unless the phone starts acting up and you have to restart. I suspect the system will restart them as needed.

I wouldn't bother trying to force close apps to save space anyway. You're not going to delete anything by closing an app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android systems, updates, phone, and basically all the apps that stsrt with "android" i was trying to download an app from playstore and it said i needed to make more space, so like i knew what i was doing, i went into EVERYTHING and cleared cache and some things i hit "force stop" i cleared data, im not really sure what all i did, but i had no business doing any of.it cause im not very techy. My ohone is working, texts calls etc, but i just got a bit paranoid because all the android stuf i hit force stop thinking i could restart, cause i didnt uninstall but now the option to hit resart isnt there

You're mistaking RAM for Internal Storage. If your phone told you that you need more space to install an app, it means that you're running low in Internal Storage. Force stopping an app only clears RAM temporarily -- it doesn't free up internal storage. Think of internal storage as the device's hard drive. (RAM is essentially the same as the RAM on a PC.)

To free up internal storage, uninstall apps you never or rarely use. If you have a lot of photos saved to the phone, take advantage of Google Photos backup, which will then allow you to delete the photos from the phone's internal storage: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en