I see you recommend (PROMINENTLY) MOTO handsets for best value under $300.

However, a while ago, Lenovo admitted shipping computers with factory installed malware. Around that same time, my family was using a couple of Lenovo handsets, A916. We had purchased two of them from different sources. Scanning with malwarebytes showed that they both had the same (multiple) malware installed, that could not be uninstalled.

I learned my lesson. NO Lenovo. Ever. I don't remember when Lenovo purchased "moto", but any "moto" handset today is Lenovo. Correct?

Ironically, Huawei and ZTE are rumored to do exactly what Lenovo HAS done. Yet I don't see the U.S. doing anything to punish Lenovo (why not?). Meanwhile, the U.S. is punishing Huawei and ZTE based on vicious rumors. If the U.S. must punish Huawei and ZTE based on rumors only, then why is Beijing-based Lenovo getting a pass for ACTUAL criminal activity?
    05-05-2018 05:46 AM
    I see you recommend (PROMINENTLY) MOTO handsets for best value under $300.
    We don't, some site might.

I learned my lesson. NO Lenovo. Ever. I don't remember when Lenovo purchased "moto", but any "moto" handset today is Lenovo. Correct?
    As of May 2018. (Lenovo might sell the name to someone else - they're about the 3rd owner of it.)

Ironically, Huawei and ZTE are rumored to do exactly what Lenovo HAS done. Yet I don't see the U.S. doing anything to punish Lenovo (why not?). Meanwhile, the U.S. is punishing Huawei and ZTE based on vicious rumors. If the U.S. must punish Huawei and ZTE based on rumors only, then why is Beijing-based Lenovo getting a pass for ACTUAL criminal activity?
    First, where did you see that Lenovo, Huawei or ZTE ship phones with malware installed? Or that any of them is being 'punished' by the US for malware? (ZTE is being punished for using cut-off companies to do business with Iran, thereby breaching sanctions, and another Chinese company, rumored to be Huawei, is being punished for the same reason. ZTE was being blocked from buying any technology from American companies without a special license, which is what happens to companies that violate sanctions. Nothing to do with malware. And all that is 2 year old "news".) And it wasn't "based on vicious rumors", it was based on internal ZTE documents.
    belodion and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-05-2018 03:27 PM
    "First, where did you see that Lenovo, Huawei or ZTE ship phones with malware installed? Or that any of them is being 'punished' by the US for malware? "

Last I checked, Huawei and ZTE were being forbidden from using U.S. technology (qualcomm chips, android operating systems, for example) for making cell phones. This is because it is FEARED that Huawei and ZTE might use cell phones to spy on United States citizens. What I find ironic about that situation is that Beijing-based Lenovo pleaded guilty to using technology to spy on U.S. citizens. But (as of a week or so ago) you could buy a "MOTO" (LENOVO) handset directly from AT&T...one that uses a qualcomm chip and runs the android operating system. Note I know that there are OTHER accusations against Huawei and ZTE, but my question was not about those specific allegations. If Huawei and ZTE are rumored to be spying on American citizens, and therefore must be banned from access to qualcomm chips and android operating systems...
    Why is it ok for Lenovo (MOTO) to use qualcomm chips and Android operating systems, considering that Lenovo pled GUILTY to similar charges that were levied against Huawei and ZTE? Meanwhile, Huawei and ZTE deny all wrong-doing.
    So if you fess up, then it's suddenly OK? But if you profess innocence, then you must be punished? Didn't the U.S. get that backward?
    05-06-2018 12:38 AM
    "First, where did you see that Lenovo, Huawei or ZTE ship phones with malware installed? Or that any of them is being 'punished' by the US for malware? "

Last I checked, Huawei and ZTE were being forbidden from using U.S. technology (qualcomm chips, android operating systems, for example) for making cell phones. This is because it is FEARED that Huawei and ZTE might use cell phones to spy on United States citizens. What I find ironic about that situation is that Beijing-based Lenovo pleaded guilty to using technology to spy on U.S. citizens. But (as of a week or so ago) you could buy a "MOTO" (LENOVO) handset directly from AT&T...one that uses a qualcomm chip and runs the android operating system. Note I know that there are OTHER accusations against Huawei and ZTE, but my question was not about those specific allegations. If Huawei and ZTE are rumored to be spying on American citizens, and therefore must be banned from access to qualcomm chips and android operating systems...
    Why is it ok for Lenovo (MOTO) to use qualcomm chips and Android operating systems, considering that Lenovo pled GUILTY to similar charges that were levied against Huawei and ZTE? Meanwhile, Huawei and ZTE deny all wrong-doing.
    So if you fess up, then it's suddenly OK? But if you profess innocence, then you must be punished? Didn't the U.S. get that backward?
    Huawei is believed to be under control of the Chinese government. But there is no real proof of this. The real beef is with their (cellular) networking equipment. The handsets are a casualty of this. It didn't start with just phones.

ZTE admitted to doing with business with countries like Iran, which the US has trade sanctions with. They paid a fine and agreed to take action by firing executives and reprimanding managers. What came out recently is that a US investigation found that they did not suffiently punish the managers involved this the 7 year ban was put in place. Again, phones are a casualty here.
    05-06-2018 03:06 AM
    Phones and rumors, evidently.
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-06-2018 01:30 PM