I know s9+ has bigger battery but iphone is better optimized. Also screen res much higher in Samsung burning power. Also oled vs lcd. Which would give me more hours constantly on streaming Netflix?
    05-06-2018 02:20 PM
    Just my educated guess but I think the 8 plus would give you more battery for streaming video.
    05-06-2018 02:32 PM
    Or the 9+ and a power pack. Going for the "not best" phone just for the time between charges, when there's a way around that seems a bit silly to me. (And if you plan on running the phone, whichever one you get, until the battery dies quite often, add in a calculation for which phone costs more to have the battery replaced. Lithium batteries don't last long when they get deeply discharged.)
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-06-2018 04:23 PM
    I second everything @Rukbat said.

My primary phone is an iPhone 8 Plus, but that's a reflection of my priorities: I've purchased a lot of apps and media from iTunes, I use a MacBook Pro and the integration between iOS and Mac OS is top-notch, I have lots of friends and family on iOS which makes communication via iMessage and FaceTime a lot easier, and Apple provides updates for their products a lot longer than any of the Android OEMs. Oh, and my employer hasn't approved Android devices for use on its BYOD program.

So, what are your priorities? If you only care about battery life for streaming Netflix, then I suspect that the iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S9+ are almost the same in that regard. But what are your other priorities, and which OS would best satisfy them? Only you can answer those questions.
    05-06-2018 04:56 PM
    Just my educated guess but I think the 8 plus would give you more battery for streaming video.
    I'm curious why. Big dif in mAh in favor of galaxy. As to which ecosystem I prefer I have never owned an iPhone..I was thinking of trying one but the 2700mAh battery sounds way too small. Either way I will still have my V20 running as well. I will keep the V20 on VZW and my new phone in Xfinity Mobile. SOT is extremely important to me. I am often on phone streaming video or audio as well as checking Twitter and Tapatalk for 5 or 6 hours at a time. Screen may be off for an hour over a 6 or 7 hour period. If the iPhone runs out if juice significantly sooner than the 9+ it isn't practical for my purposes. If the iPhone gives me comaparable screen on time it may be worth a try.

I'm not sure the s9+ gives me anything new I care about compared to the V20. I have no preference between LCD and Oled. I don't think the galaxy offers me anything new that I care about.
    05-06-2018 06:29 PM
    I'm curious why. Big dif in mAh in favor of galaxy. As to which ecosystem I prefer I have never owned an iPhone..I was thinking of trying one but the 2700mAh battery sounds way too small. Either way I will still have my V20 running as well. I will keep the V20 on VZW and my new phone in Xfinity Mobile. SOT is extremely important to me. I am often on phone streaming video or audio as well as checking Twitter and Tapatalk for 5 or 6 hours at a time. Screen may be off for an hour over a 6 or 7 hour period. If the iPhone runs out if juice significantly sooner than the 9+ it isn't practical for my purposes. If the iPhone gives me comaparable screen on time it may be worth a try.

I'm not sure the s9+ gives me anything new I care about compared to the V20. I have no preference between LCD and Oled. I don't think the galaxy offers me anything new that I care about.
    The iPhone has a more efficient SoC, better RAM management and better software. The Netflix app on iOS is written and optimized for just a handful of devices. The iPhone has significantly better battery life overall, with similar SOT to the best Android flagships. It also generally has equal to or better radios than the best Android flagships.

The S9+ has a more power efficient display, however the LED vs LCD part doesn't matter in movies.

Looking at battery run down tests, which is more or less how you would be using it, the iPhone is consistently on par with the note 8 and Anand shows it with over 1.5 hours more life than the S9+ in battery testing. And that's assuming the SD845 version, if you go exynos the battery life is absolutely horrible.
    05-06-2018 06:50 PM
    The iPhone has a more efficient SoC, better RAM management and better software. The Netflix app on iOS is written and optimized for just a handful of devices. The iPhone has significantly better battery life overall, with similar SOT to the best Android flagships. It also generally has equal to or better radios than the best Android flagships.

The S9+ has a more power efficient display, however the LED vs LCD part doesn't matter in movies.

Looking at battery run down tests, which is more or less how you would be using it, the iPhone is consistently on par with the note 8 and Anand shows it with over 1.5 hours more life than the S9+ in battery testing. And that's assuming the SD845 version, if you go exynos the battery life is absolutely horrible.
    Thanks. I had no idea. I always see people connecting their iphones to power at malls and college so had a preconceived notion that iPhones had lousy battery life.
    05-06-2018 06:55 PM