Photo names (aka timestamps) mixed up in Samsung Galaxy S7

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I saw some questions here, where photo EXIF got altered from reality, while timestamps were correct. I have the opposite problem:
I download my photos to my laptop for storage every 2 months or so, via USB cable. I noticed with few random photos, that their FILENAME differs from the EXIF date information - and EXIF is correct, the FILENAMES are incorrect!

Example: photo taken in reality on 2018.Apr.07, EXIF shows [2018.04.07 18:58:09].
On the computer, the filename is [20180207_185829.jpg]

Unbelievable, but such an exact filename already existed on my laptop from February, with a different picture content!
It seems that some random photos pick up another existing file's name (ie.timestamps). Strangely, upon filename change, the hour:minute timestamps are consistently similar, at least the hour and minute (as above example shows, 18:58:09 vs 185829).
The filename change may happen on the phone, or during USB cable transfer to computer, I am not sure.

I realized this when I copied phone photos to laptop, and then wanted to merge the new photos into previous photo archives - there was a file overwrite conflict: same filename, but different picture contents, and the newly copied photo having conflicting dates between EXIF and FILENAME stamp.
Anybody having this kind of issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non