Can Waze be transferred to SD Card

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm constantly out of space on my phone, so I would like to move Waze to my SD card, is this possible and how do I do this? I have an app to move files to SD card but Waze is not on the list to move.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SD cards are for data, not for apps. Through a quirk in Android, it's possible to move certain parts of some apps to an SD card, but only certain parts, and each part leaves a pointer in main storage pointing to where it is on the card, so it doesn't save much space. But it does make the app run much slower (and leads to premature failure of the SD card).

Google used to have a warning to not try to run a widget from the SD card, because it wouldn't run. They gave up because people complained about that. It still won't work, but at least Google doesn't get complaints about the notice. But apps written in the way widgets were still won't run from the SD card, which is why many developers simply turn off the ability to move the app to the card before they even start developing the app. So that if they do write something that won't run from the card, they won't get bad reviews from people who try to run it from the card. (And they can blame Android for not moving it.)