Is it possible to use my IMEI finding my Serial number

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Samsung Galaxy A3 2016 was stolen and i went to the police for assistance and they told me i should present my serial number so that they might be able to track it down

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Were you signed in to a Google account? android.com/devicemanager can help you find the device. The serial number would also be on the box the device came in, and the IMEI should suffice as a form of serial number as those are unique to each device (and your carrier will know the IMEI). Actually, if you bought your device from a carrier, they should know the serial number also as long as it never had to be replaced under warranty.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In the case of cellphones, the serial number doesn't apply, you use the IMEI number as a serial number. (It's unique to each individual phone.) Just give them the IMEI number when they ask for the serial number. (Most police departments aren't cellphone repair shops.)

I just checked all the barcodes on my Pixel 2 - IMEI, SKU (which is the make and model, and the same for all Pixel 2s) and eSIM number (which doesn't apply here). There is no serial number. So don't tell them that you can't find a serial number, just give them the IMEI when they ask for the serial number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1