05-24-2018 10:30 PM
29 12
tools
    I was once too distracted playing pubg mobile so I didn't notice that the battery was 6%.So I charged it from 6% to 100% without any breaks. Some website says that you must give your phone a break between some percentage. So I need some clarification is charging 6% straight to 100% safe?
    05-21-2018 02:40 AM
    There doesn't need to be any breaks. The issue here is draining the battery too low. It's not advisable to drain the battery to below 20%. That increases wear and tear on the battery causing it to fail faster.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    05-21-2018 04:00 AM
    Correct that breaks aren't needed, though if battery longevity is your priority, don't let it get so low and you might want to stop charging at 80% rather than 100% as often as possible.
    05-21-2018 06:07 AM
    I do it all the time. I usually charge my phone when it gets to 5% and charge it to 100. I've never noticed any degradation in the battery life in doing this.

I've done this with every phone from the original iPhone to my Note 8 now. I'm still using a 2.y year old S7 Edge that lasts just as long as my Note 8 on battery life. It's simply outstanding. I've even started thinking that charging my phones this way improves the battery life.
    05-21-2018 07:09 AM
    This goes over the 80-20 guidelines as well as other factors that influence battery longevity. In short, Li-ion batteries like a happy medium.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    05-21-2018 07:15 AM
    This goes over the 80-20 guidelines as well as other factors that influence battery longevity. In short, Li-ion batteries like a happy medium.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    My phone has a lipoly batteey
    05-21-2018 08:51 AM
    In your Xiaomi Mi A1?
    05-21-2018 09:22 AM
    So does my V20. From my understanding, the differences are minor and the proper charging/care practices are the same.
    05-21-2018 09:40 AM
    So does my V20. From my understanding, the differences are minor and the proper charging/care practices are the same.
    That's correct, there are no differences in the optimal strategy for any lithium based batteries that are being used in smartphones.
    05-21-2018 09:45 AM
    "Li" in "Li-Poly" stands for lithium. All modern rechargable batteries for consumers are lithium based.
    05-21-2018 12:11 PM
    The current optimal strategy that's been figured out, for maximum battery life, is to charge at 30% or more, and to stop charging at 80%. Never let the battery drop below 30%. If it charges a little over 80% once in a while it's not that bad.
    05-21-2018 12:24 PM
    The current optimal strategy that's been figured out, fo9r maximum battery life, is to charge at 30% or more, and to stop charging at 80%. Never let the battery drop below 30%. If it charges a little over 80% once in a while it's not that bad.
    Why not over 80%? Is that an actual problem?
    05-21-2018 07:14 PM
    Correct that breaks aren't needed, though if battery longevity is your priority, don't let it get so low and you might want to stop charging at 80% rather than 100% as often as possible.
    Why not over 80% Would ya tell me da reason?
    05-21-2018 07:15 PM
    I do it all the time. I usually charge my phone when it gets to 5% and charge it to 100. I've never noticed any degradation in the battery life in doing this.

I've done this with every phone from the original iPhone to my Note 8 now. I'm still using a 2.y year old S7 Edge that lasts just as long as my Note 8 on battery life. It's simply outstanding. I've even started thinking that charging my phones this way improves the battery life.
    Huh,strange.
    05-21-2018 07:16 PM
    That link shared earlie explains it.
    Why not over 80% Would ya tell me da reason?
    05-21-2018 07:32 PM
    It's been found to cut the battery life. Why? They're still working on the dendrite problem (and using plastics instead of metallic lithium), so it may be a while before anyone investigates why. (And once we get a new type of battery, that problem may disappear.)
    05-21-2018 08:09 PM
    Huh,strange.
    I even have a Note 4 that still works today along with the original battery PLUS a battery I bought to go along with it direct from Samsung. These two original batteries still provide an amazingly long charge on my Note 4 and I've consistently run them down to 5% and charged them to 100%. The phone never shuts down early as is the case for many people who have old batteries on their Note 4 phones.

All these so called expert battery care websites can insist that their ways are correct and this and that but the way that I've used the batteries in my phones speaks for itself. I've never seen any evidence that using the battery down to 5% and charging to 100% each and every time will harm the battery. My evidence shows otherwise. It's real life experience that matters and not what some website shows.
    mrluky60 likes this.
    05-23-2018 01:40 AM
    Those websites go by estimates and info from the manufacturers themselves and the physics of the device. But they are counting by charge cycle but extrapolating the duration. Of course since the estimates are based on charge cycles not actual time, there will be variation between people.

For example, a run down from 100 to 5 is expected to have approx 700 charge cycles before it degrades to about 80% capacity (although Samsung batteries circa 2017 claims to have increased this to 99-95% after that numner of cycles) on for modern batteries. For a person that uses 1 charge cycle per day, that translates to 700 days. But for a person like my mom who charges only once every 3 days, that blows up to 2100 days or 6 years before you even begin to feel minor battery degradation.
    I even have a Note 4 that still works today along with the original battery PLUS a battery I bought to go along with it direct from Samsung. These two original batteries still provide an amazingly long charge on my Note 4 and I've consistently run them down to 5% and charged them to 100%. The phone never shuts down early as is the case for many people who have old batteries on their Note 4 phones.

All these so called expert battery care websites can insist that their ways are correct and this and that but the way that I've used the batteries in my phones speaks for itself. I've never seen any evidence that using the battery down to 5% and charging to 100% each and every time will harm the battery. My evidence shows otherwise. It's real life experience that matters and not what some website shows.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2018 02:07 AM
    It's real life experience that matters and not what some website shows.
    100% agree. If what you're doing is working for you, then it's working. Some people want to use strategies to try to prolong their battery life and want to use industry best practices, and if that works for them, cool for them. Each person should do what makes the most sense to them as individuals.

The information on those sites is for informational purposes, not to go after people with a stick to slap their hands every time they drop down to 29% or accidentally charge all the way up to 100%.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2018 09:20 AM
    Ever since the Apple iOS slowdown/throttling due to battery health, I've been more curious about battery health data on my Android devices. Turns out, I've probably wrecked the battery on my Moto Z Force Droid by leaving it plugged in overnight, using battery pack Moto Mods, and charging to 100% as much as possible.

AccuBattery currently estimates that the 3500 mAh capacity is more like 2400 mAh now (68%).

Now I recently started using this app, so the sample size is still low (42 charging sessions).

But I have a Moto Z2 Play that I've started using and will see how well AccuBattery measures usage and capacity. As much as possible, I'm only charging to 80%.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2018 01:27 PM
    AccuBattery currently estimates that the 3500 mAh capacity is more like 2400 mAh now (68%).

Now I recently started using this app, so the sample size is still low (42 charging sessions).
    If you keep to the 40-80% rule, Accuabattery will show low. So is that how you got to that number, or was that after a 0%-charging cutoff (meaning not just to 100% on the gauge) cycle?
    05-23-2018 06:26 PM

What he said
    05-23-2018 06:56 PM
    If you keep to the 40-80% rule, Accuabattery will show low. So is that how you got to that number, or was that after a 0%-charging cutoff (meaning not just to 100% on the gauge) cycle?
    I've done a few 5% to 90-100% charges, maybe about 5 to 10. All others have been around 20% to 80%.

Not much data, just recently started using this app and have been switching between this Moto Z Force Droid and a Moto Z2 Play.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-23-2018 11:35 PM
    Those 40%-80% recommendations are just that, recommendations. Charge the way you want to charge, it's your phone.

But

Don't think you know better than the physicists, chemical engineers, the people who invented the technology that powers these batteries. They've tested this tech for years, decades. Don't dismiss that... They aren't making this up... Those findings are proven. It's up to everyone to do what they want, but don't make the mistake of thinking you know better, because you don't.
    Ry, Golfdriver97 and chanchan05 like this.
    05-24-2018 05:22 PM
    Back to the Moto Z2 Play.

05-24-2018 05:37 PM
29 12