I have a Droid ultra with Android OS 4.4.4 but when I say check for software update it says I'm up to date. I know that there is and Android 8.0 (Oreo) out. Why is this happening?
    05-30-2018 07:33 PM
    Because it's not eligible for update. Not all phones are. Phones are only supported by manufacturers for 2-3 years. The Droid Ultra is 5 years old (released 2013). You either buy a new phone or go to developer route. Since Android is open source it's perfectly alright for people to get Android and rewrite it to work with older unsupported phones through customized ROMs. People publish their custom ROMs on XDA forums. However note that older devices only use the drivers for the old versions since the manufacturer of parts may not have written updated drivers.
    Because it's not eligible for update. Not all phones are. Phones are only supported by manufacturers for 2-3 years. The Droid Ultra is 5 years old (released 2013). You either buy a new phone or go to developer route. Since Android is open source it's perfectly alright for people to get Android and rewrite it to work with older unsupported phones through customized ROMs. People publish their custom ROMs on XDA forums. However note that older devices only use the drivers for the old versions since the manufacturer of parts may not have written updated drivers.
    hallux likes this.
    05-31-2018 12:33 AM