iPhone 7 Plus to S9 Gaming

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I want to get an Samsung Galaxy S9 I live in Canada so I can only get the snapdragon 845 chip I want a phone that will run a game called PvZ Heroes (A card game) at 60fps or at least 49 I know that the single core Geekbench is lower but the antutu benchmark is higher so will be faster or wait for the next Samsung phone?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I want to get an Samsung Galaxy S9 I live in Canada so I can only get the snapdragon 845 chip I want a phone that will run a game called PvZ Heroes (A card game) at 60fps or at least 49 I know that the single core Geekbench is lower but the antutu benchmark is higher so will be faster or wait for the next Samsung phone?
The SD845 in the S9 is the fastest chip available for Androids this year, excluding the Exynos. The next one to be faster will be next years Galaxy S10, because part of the deal with Qualcomm and Samsung is that they get to use the chips first before anyone else.

As for performance, Samsung phones are typically set to optimized/balanced performance to avoid overheating and overtaxing the battery. So even if the phone can normally run the game at 60fps, it would depend on how big a load it is on the device.

To get around this, you have to go into settings then set it to Game Mode/Performance Mode. Then go to the Game Tuner app and set the game to use max performance. That app also lets you put an FPS cap on the game.

You could also look into the OnePlus 6. Samsung designs its devices as an all arounder. It may not be the best at everything, but it does everything so well that there really isn't any compromise with a list of features that is only missing the kitchen sink. OnePlus on the other hand focuses more on performance, so while it does not have Samsung goodies, it's going to give you what is possibly the best performance you can squeeze out of the SD845.

Sea Games

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem,I have an 7 Plus I run my game at minimum at 29 fps and maximum at 40fps and average at 31fps, I also have an Moto g6 plus and it runs my game way worse then my iPhone. I don't know about the s9, I was wondering about this same thing I wanted to pick an s9 up for a upgrade but when I looked at the speed test overall the gaming ones I straight up said no to my self and and decided to keep it for another year until android phone get faster in gaming so if you buy an s9 there is 70% chance that it will be slower and 40% chance that it will be faster so take my advice stick with your 7 plus for an year and in between when a new phone comes out a flagship one look at the gaming speed test and find one that is faster at gaming then buy that for now if you buy an android 70& it's possible to be an downgrade on gaming performence if upgrade your iphone to an newer one like the x it's probably going to be the same or even slower because of the features a11 chip is designed to be better at camera stuff and multi tasking. Stick with my advice and Bye :cool:

Last edited:

Sea Games

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem,I have an 7 Plus I run my game at minimum at 29 fps and maximum at 40fps and average at 31fps, I also have an Moto g6 plus and it runs my game way worse then my iPhone. I don't know about the s9, I was wondering about this same thing I wanted to pick an s9 up for a upgrade but when I looked at the speed test overall the gaming ones I straight up said no to my self and and decided to keep it for another year until android phone get faster in gaming so if you buy an s9 there is 70% chance that it will be slower and 40% chance that it will be faster so take my advice stick with your 7 plus for an year and in between when a new phone comes out a flagship one look at the gaming speed test and find one that is faster at gaming then buy that for now if you buy an android 70& it's possible to be an downgrade on gaming performence if upgrade your iphone to an newer one like the x it's probably going to be the same or even slower because of the features a11 chip is designed to be better at camera stuff and multi tasking. Stick with my advice and Bye

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Uh, you're comparing a 7 Plus and a G6. Way different. The S7 Plus has the same capability as the S7 Edge, and the G6 performance is like half that of the S7.
I have the same problem,I have an 7 Plus I run my game at minimum at 29 fps and maximum at 40fps and average at 31fps, I also have an Moto g6 plus and it runs my game way worse then my iPhone. I don't know about the s9, I was wondering about this same thing I wanted to pick an s9 up for a upgrade but when I looked at the speed test overall the gaming ones I straight up said no to my self and and decided to keep it for another year until android phone get faster in gaming so if you buy an s9 there is 70% chance that it will be slower and 40% chance that it will be faster so take my advice stick with your 7 plus for an year and in between when a new phone comes out a flagship one look at the gaming speed test and find one that is faster at gaming then buy that for now if you buy an android 70& it's possible to be an downgrade on gaming performence if upgrade your iphone to an newer one like the x it's probably going to be the same or even slower because of the features a11 chip is designed to be better at camera stuff and multi tasking. Stick with my advice and Bye

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I read the whole thing. You mentioned that the iPhone 7 is way better than the G6, which was your basis for saying to stick with the iPhone. I'm saying your basis is factually flawed since the G6 is using a slower processor than an S7, which is obviously slower than an S9, and both will compare very favorably in gaming to an iPhone.

What you're saying is like you have a Camaro and a Ford Fiesta. That people shouldn't buy a Mustang because the your experience with a Chevrolet vs Ford is that the Ford is slower.
No I am just saying I have a G6, I am comparing iPhone 7 plus and the S9 in gaming performance (FPS) not the s7. Read the whole thing!

Sea Games

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
I am saying that the s9 has 70% chance to be slower than the iPhone 7 Plus and 40% chance to be faster at the game that he is talking about (PvZ Heroes) it's graphics are 3d it's a card game, it's also a cartoony game but the game has over a thousand cards and each update, every new 50 cards are added so basically the game takes up a lot of storage and lots of animation, it's hard to explain so I found video a video that could explain some animations https://youtu.be/GMAAX6bEIQU?t=51s his game looks updated and running at 60fps,I don't really know what device what the creator of the video is using, but my iPhone 7 plus runs it at average 31 fps and max 41fps.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That's the point. The 70% and 40% chance you're saying has no basis other than your experience on an inferior android phone. Plus your reasons for why it should be that way doesn't line up with how a game would be able to run at high frame rates or not.

I am saying that the s9 has 70% chance to be slower than the iPhone 7 Plus and 40% chance to be faster at the game that he is talking about (PvZ Heroes) it's graphics are 3d it's a card game, it's also a cartoony game but the game has over a thousand cards and each update, every new 50 cards are added so basically the game takes up a lot of storage and lots of animation, it's hard to explain so I found video a video that could explain some animations https://youtu.be/GMAAX6bEIQU?t=51s his game looks updated and running at 60fps,I don't really know what device what the creator of the video is using, but my iPhone 7 plus runs it at average 31 fps and max 41fps.