I am using MI phone, It has an inbuilt cleaner but someone says android need antivirus for security from spam links or other. Does it require?
    06-05-2018 10:26 AM
    As long as you're careful, you don't really even need an antivirus. I've never run one, or at least I haven't on my last 3 phones and 2 tablets. The primary concern is apps coming with malicious payloads. As long as you're mindful of where you install your apps from and do NOT fall for the pop-ups that warn you that your device is infected you should be relatively safe.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2018 11:12 AM
    Android is a pretty secure system. As @hallux said, you don't need it as long as you install apps from reputable sources and avoid sketchy sites. It's people that pirate apps and such that face the most risks.

What struck me is you said your phone has a "cleaner" app pre-installed. Is it an anti-virus app, or something like Clean Master that claims to speed up your phone, free up memory, increase battery life, do the dishes, mow the lawn, and everything else under the sun? Ok, so I got a little facetious there, but if it is one of those optimizing type apps, you should uninstall it. If that's not possible because it's baked in to your OS, then at the very least you should disable it. These types of apps work counter to how Android was designed. They either accomplish nothing, or often make things work. If it's an app by Cheetah Mobile (makers of Clean Master and others, who have partnered with manufacturers in the past), do everything you can to avoid it. They have a shady reputation beyond simply not knowing how Android works.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2018 11:55 AM