Switching to Android from iOS: Key Questions

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So, I am a redcoat amidst the Android patriots. I am currently on iOS, but - having switched about 5 years ago - miss Android and would like to come back. I loved my Note 3 years ago, but had a few frustrations with Android at the time. I am hoping users on this forum can answer a few questions that will help me come back to Android from iOS. Thanks in advance everyone. These may seem trivial, but are important to me given the nature of my lifestyle and work (lots of travel, networking, etc...).

Question 1: Does the main dialer app handle calling for 3rd party apps (Viber, WhatsApp, etc...)? This is now the case with iOS - if a call comes in through WhatsApp, the stock Phone app allows you to answer it, the calls register in the main call list and you can use the stock Phone app to work with call history and calls that came in through WhatsApp, Viber, etc... without having to do this in each app individually. It used to be that each calling app on Android operated fully separately without accessing the main Phone app - has this changed?

Question 2: Are you able to set app-specific quiet times for notifications? One of the things I find most annoying about iOS is its complete lack of flexibility when it comes to notifications. One feature I would like to have (one that old old Nokias and Blackberry OS had) is the ability to set "quiet" hours for notifications that are app-specific (as opposed to system wide do not disturb for notifications). For example, if I use Outlook on my phone to check work email, I would want to set it not to send me any notifications starting Friday night until Monday morning, while I want all other apps to be unaffected. The only way to do this in iOS is to go manually into notification settings for Outlook and to turn notifications off on Friday, and re-enable them on Monday. Does Android allow you to do this on a pre-set schedule that is app-specific, as opposed to setting quiet times / DND for all notifications?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Question 1: Does the main dialer app handle calling for 3rd party apps (Viber, WhatsApp, etc...)?
No, Viber, WhatsApp, etc., apps do that. You can't pick up a WhatsApp call on the dialer.

Question 2: Are you able to set app-specific quiet times for notifications?
No, Do Not Disturb is for the phone, not for an app, unless the app has something built-in to do it for that app. You can set DND for 24/7, then allow certain apps (or almost all of them) to still send you notifications and alerts, but that's about it.

So it's either get used to Android or stay with Apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463