I just purchased a WIFI electrical outlet. The app requires you to be on a 2.4 GHZ WIFI.

Whenever I log into the router control panel, it shows that my phone is connected to the 5GHZ. Not the 2.4 GHZ. My router has both 2.4 and 5. Some devices are connected to the 2.4 and others to the 5. My phone keeps connecting to the 5.

I went into the advanced WIFI settings of my phone (Galaxy S6) and there is no where to choose which network to join although many websites say it should be there.

Any suggestions on how to change my phone to go to the 2.4 and not the 5 so I can get this app to work?
    06-08-2018 06:35 AM
    I actually have the two networks named differently so I can be sure which one I'm connecting to.

As to which you want to use? For the IoT devices such as that outlet - 2.4 is perfectly fine. The "issue" with 2.4 is that it can be VERY congested if you live in a populated area so it could end up being slow for everyday devices. If you have an old house with plaster walls using metal lath you may consider 2.4 as that will have better penetration through those walls. 2.4 would also get you slightly better range so that's something else to consider. As long as you don't enable segregation (meaning the wireless networks are separate) it really shouldn't matter which one you're on otherwise.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    06-08-2018 07:22 AM
    The easy solution, of course, is to connect to the router and turn the 5GHz radio off. Then, unless you have a congestion problem, all your devices will connect to the 2.4 GHz connection. (But have you tried the app with the phone using the 5GHz connection? Most routers handle both signals the same way once they leave the radios, so even if the phone is on the 5GHz radio and the outlet is on the 2.4GHz radio, they should be able to talk to each other.)
    06-08-2018 02:30 PM