I've been having this problem that is getting progressively worse over time. My LG V20 used to just turn off when it was at 30%, but now it does it at higher and higher percentages all the time. When it just shuts off and I think it's because the battery is low and I go to plug it in, it reads that my phone battery had 50-60% left. It is getting ridiculous. I can't get 2 hours of use and my phone before it is shutting off! Even though when I go ahead & plug it in and it has supposedly tons of time of battery life left... 40-50-60%. Sometimes I cannot even turn it on. I haven't seen my battery life go down to 40% or lower in months. I have a new battery ordered, but it feels like it's the phone malfunctioning more than my battery. Help, please, someone!
    06-09-2018 01:20 PM
    06-09-2018 01:30 PM
    It's the battery. As they age, they cannot handle voltage sag as well as a healthy battery. When you put a load on it, the sag drops voltage below the critical level, making it shut off. Once the phone is off and no longer putting a load on the battery, the voltage comes back up, making it look like you still had a lot of power when you plug it in.

Also keep in mind this is getting to be an old model phone. That new battery you ordered may have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for a year, which can also cause it to degrade. Hopefully it'll be better than you have now, but don't expect 100% capacity from it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2018 01:36 PM
    It's the battery. As they age, they cannot handle voltage sag as well as a healthy battery. When you put a load on it, the sag drops voltage below the critical level, making it shut off. Once the phone is off and no longer putting a load on the battery, the voltage comes back up, making it look like you still had a lot of power when you plug it in.

Also keep in mind this is getting to be an old model phone. That new battery you ordered may have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for a year, which can also cause it to degrade. Hopefully it'll be better than you have now, but don't expect 100% capacity from it.
    You're correct that they degrade on the shelf however not as rapidly as one that has had many charge cycles. The worst is if is has been sitting at zero.
    Funny...the batteries on my V20 started shutting off at 15 percent but then stopped doing it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2018 02:58 PM
    Funny...the batteries on my V20 started shutting off at 15 percent but then stopped doing it.
    The battery in my Lumia 550 started losing charge, even with the phone powered off, and even when out of the phone. It did it for months. Then it stopped doing it.

Who knows?
    06-09-2018 03:21 PM
    You're correct that they degrade on the shelf however not as rapidly as one that has had many charge cycles.
    True, but without knowing how long they have been sitting, I think it's a crap shoot any more and you risk getting old stock that isn't at full capacity.
    06-09-2018 04:34 PM
    True, but without knowing how long they have been sitting, I think it's a crap shoot any more and you risk getting old stock that isn't at full capacity.
    That's why it's important to buy from a reputable source with a good return policy.
    06-09-2018 07:34 PM
    That's why it's important to buy from a reputable source with a good return policy.
    If you find any that still have fresh stock extended batteries, let me know.
    06-09-2018 08:38 PM
    If you find any that still have fresh stock extended batteries, let me know.
    I wasn't looking because I don't use my V20 that much.
    06-09-2018 11:16 PM