My bf who also has an s8 has the video calling option but he said his phone updated and then he noticed it. I was just wondering if straight talk had that option? He's with at&t, so idk if it's a carrier problem? Also he had the option to video call me but on my end it came up as a regular call
    06-09-2018 08:58 PM
    I doubt that Straight Talk has it. They don't have most things. (They're not a carrier, they're a mobile virtual network operator - they buy minutes wholesale from the carriers and sell them to you retail. But to buy video calling minutes would be expensive so they probably don't.) Straight Talk is cheap, AT&T has features, you choose which one is more important to you.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-10-2018 04:10 PM
    2 things are bugging me about this thread.

1. Maybe it's because straight talk has improved rapidly over the past year or you just haven't reviewed them in a while but straight talk has unlimited everything now and I've tested the speeds and they are the same as my friend who uses AT&T and faster than Verizon. So to say straight talk is cheap without features is no longer the case. It's more of why are AT&T and Verizon charging so much for the same features.

2. Video calling feature? Are yall trolling? Video calling minutes? Seriously? Who needs that as a feature? Does your phone have a screen, camera, microphone, network connectivity, and ability to download and use apps? Tada!!! Video calling!!! Apps that have this ability, Facebook messenger, Google duo, Skype and many more.
    01-22-2019 08:59 AM
    Does Straight Talk allow you to use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot nowadays? I believe this function has historically been blocked on Straight Talk, since they wanted you to purchase one of their own hotspot devices. If it's still blocked, that's at least one feature that is lacking. MVNOs often get deprioritized data speeds in congested areas or at high traffic times, so you'd need to test the speeds in those situations as well.

Video calling through the carrier is still a thing, although it's admittedly not used very often, and is limited to video calling between people on the same carrier. The problem with using other platforms is that the other person has to use the same app. I don't want to have to install Skype on my phone just because someone else prefers to video call me on that service.
    01-22-2019 11:24 AM
    Does Straight Talk allow you to use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot nowadays? I believe this function has historically been blocked on Straight Talk, since they wanted you to purchase one of their own hotspot devices. If it's still blocked, that's at least one feature that is lacking. MVNOs often get deprioritized data speeds in congested areas or at high traffic times, so you'd need to test the speeds in those situations as well.

Video calling through the carrier is still a thing, although it's admittedly not used very often, and is limited to video calling between people on the same carrier. The problem with using other platforms is that the other person has to use the same app. I don't want to have to install Skype on my phone just because someone else prefers to video call me on that service.
    I use hotspot daily to run my laptop and 3 kids phones who are YouTube addicts on my sprint unlocked s8 plus using Verizon straight talk, on LTE + my download speeds hit up to 90-100Mbps but average around 50-65mbps .I used to hate straight talk but 55 unlimited you can't beat it anymore. My kid has a cheap lg rebel straight talk phone from them same service and her hotspot also works
    01-27-2019 05:38 PM