I have a VkWorld Mix Plus.

Whenever I get a google notification, uninstall something, or allow permissions the text becomes abscured with accents.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Why is my phone doing this?-screenshot_20180611-185618.jpg  
    Tow3L1e likes this.
    06-11-2018 09:08 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does this also happen in Safe Mode? On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.
    06-11-2018 10:18 PM
    It does the same thing in safe mode
    06-12-2018 11:53 AM
    Try wiping the cache partition, which won't affect any personal data: VKworld Mix Plus - Recovery Mode - HardReset.info
    06-13-2018 02:28 AM
    That didn't help. It still shows accents. What now?
    06-14-2018 09:30 AM
    Has it always been like this? If not, I wonder if it's some kind of malware trying to disguise itself as legitimate system apps. The thing about that text is that someone had to make a conscious decision to replace the normal letters with the ones with diacritical markings, and those characters have completely different Unicode than the regular Latin alphabet characters. I can't think of any good reason to do this, apart from trying to fool the user into thinking these are legitimate system apps.

Do all apps show up in those weird characters, or only system apps?

Install and run a good antimalware app like Malwarebytes or Avast, and see if anything comes up.
    06-14-2018 11:21 AM
    I used BitDefender and nothing came up
    06-16-2018 11:53 AM
    Try a few more. A given antivirus app may still miss things.
    06-16-2018 10:55 PM
    I have a VkWorld Mix Plus.

Whenever I get a google notification, uninstall something, or allow permissions the text becomes abscured with accents.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
    Another member had a similar problem and found a solution: https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...ml#post6273876
    06-28-2018 11:04 AM
    Oh thank you! I'll try it. And sorry I wasn't replying, I was busy with my Psychology class
    06-28-2018 01:16 PM
    Also I tried Malwarebytes and it showed two problems. One malware in sound recorder. And a pup riskware or something in my phone's default launcher. I'm not using the default launcher for my phone.
    06-28-2018 01:19 PM
    Also I tried Malwarebytes and it showed two problems. One malware in sound recorder. And a pup riskware or something in my phone's default launcher. I'm not using the default launcher for my phone.
    Welcome to the forums. Did you try the idea in the thread that @B. Diddy linked?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-28-2018 02:49 PM
    PUPs can be false positives, or something that you want but most people don't. (Rooting apps are usually considered PUPs. If you want to root your phone, they're definitely not risky.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-28-2018 02:53 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Did you try the idea in the thread that @B. Diddy linked?
    I did! It's fixed now thank you!
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.
    06-30-2018 10:13 AM
    PUPs can be false positives, or something that you want but most people don't. (Rooting apps are usually considered PUPs. If you want to root your phone, they're definitely not risky.)
    I don't know. I've heard I can seriously mess up my phone doing that.
    06-30-2018 10:13 AM
    Best advice - if you can't root your phone without using an app or PC program to do it, you're better off not doing it. (But for those of us who have been using Linux since Unix was a proprietary AT&T product (the 80s), running Linux without having root access (which is the operating system Android runs on) is almost sacrilegious. (Even to do something as simple as redoing the battery calibration file requires root. But for the average "I don't know much, but I know to ask in Android Central" user, it's not really needed. [And for the average "where is the 'on' switch" user, which is about 90% of cellphone users, believe it or not, it's definitely recommended that they absolutely do not root their phones, or even use one that's rooted. It's like handing a hand grenade with the pin pulled to a child. A simple command like rm / -fr will destroy the phone, removing Android and all files without saying a word.] At least you're at the point where you have some idea that rooting is not the best idea of the century - you're way ahead of most.)
    06-30-2018 03:17 PM
    Yes well I learned it from my friend who learned it the hard way. Her Iphone 6S+ is completely messed up because she decided to jailbreak it and didn't know what she was doing. Although jailbreaking and rooting are a bit different, the effects can be one in the same if not done correctly. So it's a nogo either way for me. But thank you @B. Diddy for helping and everyone else as well!
    Golfdriver97 and B. Diddy like this.
    07-03-2018 07:37 AM