I need to set up a device to check a file on a server on the internet over GSM. Compare it to a local file (+-3Gb in size) stored on the SD Card and then, if the file has been updated, download the new file, update the local file and then present it to the computer it is plugged into via USB as local storage.

I currently have a Huawei E8372 Wingle router and have been trying to figure out if it will do what I want it to do, I believe that it is running a version of Android.

The device also should not give the computer it is plugged into internet access.

Basically it needs to act as automatically updating USB Storage for a computer.

As mentioned I already have a E8372, but if anyone has any other great ideas as to how to solve this problem, your advise/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John Brinkman likes this.
    06-14-2018 08:33 AM
    If you can get into the router's storage space and write, in this case, an Android or Linux program, yes, it will do - but you can't connect to an internet server using GSM. GSM connects to the telephone system network, not to the internet.

So the program (or app) would have to do an FTP connection to the server and use the MDTM command to get the remote file's last modified date and the SIZE command to get the file size, to see if it's been updated. Then set the type (probably binary) and use GET to download the file.

I'll leave comparing the file to the one on the computer and sending it from the router to the computer up to you.
    06-14-2018 12:23 PM