Wireless charging sensitivity decrease from system update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I broke my reliable well loved S7, and rather that fix it since I was off contract I elected to get the new S9 Plus. I also got a wireless charger for my car, since I've enjoyed the convenience of the desktop wireless charger for some time, and don't have many usb-c cables laying around yet.

I had issues getting the car charger to work well unless I removed the case I got, so I went back to the store and got another case, trying it out on the charger before completing the purchase. It was great all week just throwing my phone in the holder/charger and enjoying a fully charged phone all the time.

Yesterday I got a system update....

Now I have to be careful with placement on the desktop charger, and the car charger again fails to charge at all unless I remove the new case.

How frustrating!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Updates have nothing to do with wireless charging sensitivity - you just had two things happen at the same time, but they're not related. Some charging plates just don't have the power - if you were right on the edge of allowable distance (say 0.1mm closer than necessary) and the case got thicker because sunlight (or even the ambient temperature) heated it up, you're now 0.1mm too far from the plate. It's not a "it gets a weaker charge as you get farther away" thing, it's "you get full charge until you exceed the distance by even the thickness of a piece of paper, then it stops charging" thing. (I've actually placed sheets of onion skin between my phone and the plate, and one additional sheet of onion skin paper was enough to go from full charge to no charge. That's a 46 micron difference. [Foil is 52 microns thick, for comparison.])

Rich B2

Jul 7, 2018
Visit site
I am the original questioner, and have further info now.... :ast weekend my wife's S7 edge got an update as well, and now HER wireless charging no longer works eithjer! Your answer seems not to be correct Rukbat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance