I need to get a new phone, but am having a very difficult time finding one that suits my needs. After becoming tired of having my online life targeted by ai programmed to sell me stuff. I don't particularly want to give my biometric data to the same ai in the form of a device that is always listening to me and tracking my location.

I don't need the best phone, i just want to make phone calls, listen to music, Google things and call uber. I don't care if its slow, i don't care about social media, i don't care about the camera. I could get an older phone, but i really want usb type C because im sick of micro usb constantly breaking.
    Does anyone know of any that fit the bill? Thanks!
    06-26-2018 05:38 AM
    Welcome to Android Central!

Biometric security features won't collect any of your personal information unless you enable them.
    06-26-2018 05:44 AM
    Well that's not entirely true. The fingerprint readers scan every fingerprint they interact with, regardless of who they come from. And the fingerprint themselves aren't personal information. Just because they aren't registered doesn't mean the data isn't being collected, stored or even sold.
    And even if I'm wrong for my reasoning is there anything wrong with wanting a phone with a niche feature or lack thereof? Id still like to know if there are any modern, simplified phones with type C connectors.
    06-26-2018 06:24 AM
    Well, outside the US there are a ton of options. Lower to mid end 2017 Samsung phones mostly don't have one. Lower end Huawei stuff too.

In the US, if you can find 2016 era Sony phones, they have the fingerprint scanners disabled.
    06-26-2018 07:46 AM
    If you're in the US, last year's Sony models came with USB-C and without fingerprint scanners.
    06-26-2018 08:09 AM
    06-26-2018 08:15 AM
    If you read the material posted about it, the fingerprints never leave the device. The authentication is handled by a chip in the phone and never transmitted. If it could be transmitted (resulting in it being "insecure"), banks wouldn't allow it for authorizing access to their app or used as authentication for mobile payments.

Here's a front-page article on the fingerprint authentication process - https://www.androidcentral.com/how-d...r-fingerprints
    djrakowski and CapB223 like this.
    06-26-2018 09:15 AM
    Well that article does put my mind at ease to some degree, thank thank you. It doesn't resolve all my apprehensions however. For example even if the fingerprints never leave the device the the ability to profile and track the person associated still remains. And with the nature of how permanent biometrics are I'm still reluctant to give mine out with the possibility of those rules being bent, broken or changed in the future. Anyway, thank you for your time, I'll definitely have a look at the phones listed.
    06-27-2018 04:56 AM
    For example even if the fingerprints never leave the device the the ability to profile and track the person associated still remains.
    Trust me, you've being profiled and tracked online long before biometrics were even available. Just look at targeted advertising. Fire example, I recently bought a used GMC Yukon and have been doing a lot of online research on various things about it. Last night I got a YouTube ad for a new Ford SUV (don't remember which one) that specifically called out potential Yukon buyers in the ad.
    06-27-2018 05:41 AM