Zedge specifically says they force ads on the phone.
    I think I missed where the OP said Zedge. Did he? I hwve Zedge and I have no full screen ads taking over.
    07-04-2018 10:32 AM
    Reinstall it and you will see what I'm talking about
    07-04-2018 11:23 AM
    It just occurred again. Only apps running in background were mail and text. Phone was idle for a time and went to use it and there was a damn pop up. I don't care if it is the OS or an app that is doing it. Something is doing it and it bugs me. I am done with Android.
    I think what you mean is that you're done with not paying for apps. This is, after all, why apps serve up ads -- that's how developers make money, since no one ever wants to pay for apps any more. There are very very very very very very very few developers who publish apps for free and completely ad-free out of the goodness of their hearts. So good luck with that!
    07-04-2018 11:58 AM
    I think what you mean is that you're done with not paying for apps. This is, after all, why apps serve up ads -- that's how developers make money, since no one ever wants to pay for apps any more. There are very very very very very very very few developers who publish apps for free and completely ad-free out of the goodness of their hearts. So good luck with that!
    No. You can try to cut it anyway you like but Android or an Android app is causing me to get apparently random full screen, in my face, pop up ads. I did not bargain for that. I knew I would get ads within apps I agreed to receive, but not apart from any particular app if an app at all. I consider this a major flaw.
    07-04-2018 12:03 PM
    I uninstalled Volume Booster and haven't seen ads so far.
    Javier P likes this.
    07-04-2018 12:19 PM
    I uninstalled Volume Booster and haven't seen ads so far.
    Excellent! Thanks for the follow up. I've just checked that app on the Play Store and many reviews complain about the full screen ads.

Funny that the screenshot filename showed the name of the app, nice way to find, and kill, the culprit.
    ChiefDog likes this.
    07-04-2018 12:38 PM
    No. You can try to cut it anyway you like but Android or an Android app is causing me to get apparently random full screen, in my face, pop up ads. I did not bargain for that. I knew I would get ads within apps I agreed to receive, but not apart from any particular app if an app at all. I consider this a major flaw.
    In some way you did bargain for that, the same all of us do any time we download an app, specially free ones. We have offered you different ways to try to find the culprit and so far you have ignored all of them.

Those full screen ads are very annoying, but there are ways to get rid of them. You decide if you want to find the culprit or just complain about having them.
    07-04-2018 12:45 PM
    In some way you did bargain for that, the same all of us do any time we download an app, specially free ones. We have offered you different ways to try to find the culprit and so far you have ignored all of them.

Those full screen ads are very annoying, but there are ways to get rid of them. You decide if you want to find the culprit or just complain about having them.
    No, Sir. If random, full-screen pop-ups are part of the deal, I am out. I do not accept. Also, if you read my post, I have attempted all the things suggested to remove. I removed recently downloaded apps. That did not work. I removed all Google apps. That did not work. So, I removed everything by doing a factory reset. I had to go through the somewhat painstaking procedure of re-initiating all my accounts and necessary apps. I kept it minimal. I had a forgetful moment and started to download a cat ringtone app. Remembered I did not want to take a chance during download so I interrupted the download. The pop ups seemed to start happening after that. However, I had this one on the phone before and did not have the problem then and it only started happening the first time many weeks/months after that download. So, if it was an app, it was likely a different app that caused it the first time and maybe not that app, which was not downloaded, causing it this second time. So, you can try to justify this, but it is happening and even if there is finally a way to rid myself of it, I should not have to struggle to do so. It should not be a problem. If an app is causing it, the OS should be able to prevent the app from allowing random, full-screen pop ups or Alphabet should ensure developers cannot implement such a thing.
    ChiefDog likes this.
    07-04-2018 12:56 PM
    The reviews for both Volume Booster and Zedge mention full page pop up ads.
    07-04-2018 01:51 PM
    No, Sir. If random, full-screen pop-ups are part of the deal, I am out. I do not accept. Also, if you read my post, I have attempted all the things suggested to remove. I removed recently downloaded apps. That did not work. I removed all Google apps. That did not work. So, I removed everything by doing a factory reset. I had to go through the somewhat painstaking procedure of re-initiating all my accounts and necessary apps. I kept it minimal. I had a forgetful moment and started to download a cat ringtone app. Remembered I did not want to take a chance during download so I interrupted the download. The pop ups seemed to start happening after that. However, I had this one on the phone before and did not have the problem then and it only started happening the first time many weeks/months after that download. So, if it was an app, it was likely a different app that caused it the first time and maybe not that app, which was not downloaded, causing it this second time. So, you can try to justify this, but it is happening and even if there is finally a way to rid myself of it, I should not have to struggle to do so. It should not be a problem. If an app is causing it, the OS should be able to prevent the app from allowing random, full-screen pop ups or Alphabet should ensure developers cannot implement such a thing.
    A factory reset is usually unnecessary to solve this kind of problem and, depending on your settings, your old apps would be restored after the initial setup. Also, deleting only recently downloaded apps won't necessarily fix the issue because it's possible that an old app got an update which included these popups.

Let's try again.

- What phone do you have and where did you buy it (unlocked/Amazon/carrier contract/second hand)?

- Take a screenshot of that full screen ad. This guide will show you how to post it here.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=737130

- What do you see in your recent apps after you get this ad? Sometimes you can find the origin of those popups in the little icon top left on the last card.

- Post screenshots of your app drawer and we'll try to find a possible suspect.

- What apps do you have enabled in settings - security - device administrator?

- What apps have the 'draw over other apps' permission enabled?

- Do you get the same ads after booting in safe mode? The right steps will vary depending on your model.

- Which 'cat ringtones' app are you referring to? Plenty of them on the Play Store, most of them with reviews reporting full screen ads.

Let's focus on troubleshooting this problem, please.
    07-04-2018 02:16 PM
    A factory reset is usually unnecessary to solve this kind of problem and, depending on your settings, your old apps would be restored after the initial setup. Also, deleting only recently downloaded apps won't necessarily fix the issue because it's possible that an old app got an update which included these popups.

Let's try again.

- What phone do you have and where did you buy it (unlocked/Amazon/carrier contract/second hand)? [Samsung Note 5 purchased new via e-bay]

- Take a screenshot of that full screen ad. This guide will show you how to post it here. [Attached]

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=737130

- What do you see in your recent apps after you get this ad? Sometimes you can find the origin of those popups in the little icon top left on the last card. [Not certain what you mean by "last card", but do not see anything unusual in any of the screens]

- Post screenshots of your app drawer and we'll try to find a possible suspect. [O.K.]

- What apps do you have enabled in settings - security - device administrator? [If went to right location, only "find my device"]

- What apps have the 'draw over other apps' permission enabled? ["I don't see that type of permission. There is "body sensors", "calendar", "camera", "contacts", "location", "microphone", "phone", "sms", and "storage". There are a few more, but no application listed.]

- Do you get the same ads after booting in safe mode? The right steps will vary depending on your model. [Never tried booting in safe mode. Do not know how to do that.]

- Which 'cat ringtones' app are you referring to? Plenty of them on the Play Store, most of them with reviews reporting full screen ads. [Pretty certain it was Cat Ringtones Vol3 Entertainers Entertainment]

Let's focus on troubleshooting this problem, please.
    Attached Files
    07-04-2018 04:17 PM
    The reviews for both Volume Booster and Zedge mention full page pop up ads.
    So far I'm still not getting Zedge full screen ads except INSIDE the app, which is fine for me. Let's see how this reinstallation goes for now.
    07-04-2018 07:34 PM
    I have Zedge on my devices. Granted, I don't open it often (actually, maybe not at all since I set them up) but I don't have any ads coming up.
    07-04-2018 09:31 PM
    Don't zip the photos. Upload them individually. Some people are leary of downloading stuff. Uploading them individually will allow us to see them in the forum itself without downloading.
    ChiefDog likes this.
    07-04-2018 09:53 PM
    I am also having similar problem.
    So, I just got a phone and have been installing a lot of apps lately (from Play Store). I noticed this unusual happening: Play Store now pos up ad on my phone. I just unlock my phone and there am I in Play Store asking me to install an app that is in development and be the first to try and provide feedback. One time, a Google add also showed up. I also remember downloading a random ringtone from the internet.

For sure, this just started happening recently. I am using OnePlus 3T and Android 8.0.0. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?-screenshot_20180705-082546.jpg   Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?-screenshot_20180705-100638.jpg   Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?-screenshot_20180705-082451.jpg  
    07-05-2018 09:21 AM
    Sorry for the delay. Man you are not making things easy for me I've noticed just now that you answered my questions editing my quote, I didn't see it when you posted. On mobile long quotes need to be expanded to see the full text so I missed your answers. And as chanchan05 said, please don't zip files, most people, including me, won't download them on a public forum. Use the instructions to post screenshots included in the guide I linked above, please.

Anyway, I decided to "infect" my backup phone with an app well known for pushing full screen ads. I'll wait until I get one and I'll perform kind of a reverse search to see which traces it leaves and try to find an easy way to detect it. I'll keep you posted.
    ChiefDog likes this.
    07-05-2018 01:26 PM
    Sorry for the delay. Man you are not making things easy for me I've noticed just now that you answered my questions editing my quote, I didn't see it when you posted. On mobile long quotes need to be expanded to see the full text so I missed your answers. And as chanchan05 said, please don't zip files, most people, including me, won't download them on a public forum. Use the instructions to post screenshots included in the guide I linked above, please.

Anyway, I decided to "infect" my backup phone with an app well known for pushing full screen ads. I'll wait until I get one and I'll perform kind of a reverse search to see which traces it leaves and try to find an easy way to detect it. I'll keep you posted.
    O.K. Sorry about that. Just an add on note ... I did locate the "draw over other apps" permissions and removed permissions for all except a couple that seemed necessary. Received a couple pop ups after that but had not rebooted. I just rebooted recently and have not had a pops up since, but it has not been very long. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, or if I will get a pop up later on.
    07-05-2018 01:45 PM
    I am experiencing all of the same things that the previous users have posted. This started after I up dated my phone to the android pie and then simultaneously updated all of my apps which I have almost 200 of. I have turned off all push notifications I have turned off all of the “draw over other app” options I have deleted many of the apps that I either never used or rarely used and was just keeping around. So I’m concluding this is not because of a recently installed app but because of a recently updated app. I have ESET mobile security running and have had it running continually it did not detect, catch or stop this from happening....... I gladly welcome ads from free apps that I use while I’m using them but do welcome full-page pop-ups that come out of nowhere, seem to have no pattern to how they are triggered is not only frustrating but insulting
    08-30-2018 09:59 AM
    I've recently started to experience these same annoying pop-ups.

Taking advice offered here, I deleted a couple of recent apps - both Apple-TV remote apps - and the problem ceased.

Many thanks for the solution.
    09-03-2018 08:39 PM
    This has been going on for some time for me - even before the upgrade to Pie. I have spent countless hours researching how to fix this - thankful to have found this thread. However, I don't have any of the apps that are listed as the culprit(s) here. And my full screen rogue apps aren't nearly as aesthetically pleasing as others have shown. Here are two of mine. Any thoughts?
    Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?-screenshot_20180827-214807.jpg
    Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?-screenshot_20180829-072405.jpg

P.S. Spouse has identical Google Pixel 2, bought on the same day as mine. He does not have these issues at all.
    09-10-2018 08:11 AM
    This has been going on for some time for me - even before the upgrade to Pie. I have spent countless hours researching how to fix this - thankful to have found this thread. However, I don't have any of the apps that are listed as the culprit(s) here. And my full screen rogue apps aren't nearly as aesthetically pleasing as others have shown. Here are two of mine. Any thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180827-214807.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	290223
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180829-072405.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	290224

P.S. Spouse has identical Google Pixel 2, bought on the same day as mine. He does not have these issues at all.
    Welcome to the forums. Can you see a card for that app in your recent apps? See this guide for possible solutions.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=901497
    09-10-2018 08:14 AM
    Javier P ~ Thanks so much for your reply. No, I have not seen a card for that app in my recent apps, but the guide you sent me to was invaluable. https://forums.androidcentral.com/am...d-culprit.html . Thank you.

Under Running Services, I saw two separate incidences of Google Play Services - one running 19 different services(!) since the phone started today. Google Play Services is not an installed app, but I did stop as many of the services as I could. With a restart, there is only one incident of GPServices now and 1 service running in it now. (Spouse has no incidents of Google Play Services on his phone, btw.) That may be the culprit, but too soon to tell. Will get back with this thread as soon as I know.

Again, thanks for https://forums.androidcentral.com/am...d-culprit.html .

21 Sept 2018 Update: Even after going through the steps of "how to find the culprit," I'm still getting full-screen ads. And oh, the irony of the ad today:
    Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?-screenshot_20180921-083425.jpg
    Looks like the only solution is to do a factory reset - unless anyone has a better idea at this point.
    Javier P likes this.
    09-10-2018 09:38 AM
    I have newly purchased moto g6. I have deployed only the apps I was previously using in Mi4i. I get the annoy g fullscreen pop ups placed by "ads by google" and with Google play store logo and it is a google product. Let me know where to upload the screenshot. It is clearly google taking liberties with stock android installation.

I have factory reset my phone thrice denying all sorts of permissions to Moto the vendor. The only remaing culprit is stock Android.
    10-21-2018 02:18 AM
    True, a free app wishes to place ads and we know the deal. But those are within that app and ignorable if one wants. Grabbing the whole screen irretrievably for at least five seconds is a deal breaker. It cannot be considered what we "bargained" for. Bargain should be up front. Not buried deep in multitude of "help" pages.
    10-21-2018 02:27 AM
    Please help I am also having the same problem
    A web page opens(not in any browser on phone) with ad and it disables back key ,menu key and recent app screens long press key of android phone.....then I have to turn WiFi off and click on ad while being offline and then after website fails to load a cross sign appears and then I am able to close it until it appears next time......this happened right after I started using google's voice command widget
    07-18-2019 03:05 PM
51 123