Will Google Stop the Full Screen Pop Up Ads!?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have full screen pop up ads that seemingly appear at random between jumping to new apps or when I pick up my phone and turn it on. I did not bargain for this! It is like a jab in my back every time I am confronted with it. May seem like a small thing, but not to me. I hate the unwarranted intrusion. It rubs me terribly the wrong way. It is one thing to expect ads within the apps I agreed to download or otherwise have on my phone. It is wholly another to have them pop up on me at any time without doing anything to have permitted such. Before you try to tell me how to get rid of them, I have opted out of personal ads. I have opted out from all sponsors which, brings me to another gripe. Some of those sponsors allow opt out but then change the setting unbeknownst to you at a later time. So, I have to continuously go back to the google ads to opt out of all once again. And before you say I should reset my device; I did that. I reset back to factory settings, went through the pain of adding back my accounts and needed apps and still have the problem. I only included those apps I truly needed, which were few, to help ensure I would not have the problem again. Now I admit that I went to download some ringtones recently but stopped and uninstalled while in progress remembering that I don't want to take the chance of getting the full screen pop ups again. And they did seem to start happening more after that. But if I have to worry about downloading simple apps, what the heck is the point of having this phone? I paid good money for this phone; I pay much money for service; and now I have this unwanted, unwarranted intrusion that really pisses me off. This is my first android phone and my last. I am going to try and sell it to get some of my money back and will then get a dumb phone now. This nonstop, advertising in your face world that we live in is bad enough without this forced, unseemly intrusion. I have saved this post and will post it on other forums because others should know about this. Maybe it does not matter to some, but it will matter to others when they make their choice.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If I may ask - which apps are on your "needed" list? Some apps that people think they need are actually the cause of such problems. This is not the fault of the OS - I use my Pixel 2 XL and Samsung Tab S3 without seeing unexpected full-screen ads most of the time - only rarely do I get one from a web site I visited in the browser.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Depends entirely on what you download. I have never experienced in your face unwanted full screen ads in 8 years of Android. So in your case I'd more question the stuff you put in your phone rather than the phone itself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Let's be clear here: these ads are not being served up by Google themselves. They're due to adware that you likely installed unwittingly alongside some other app. Uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

macdaddy31

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Depends entirely on what you download. I have never experienced in your face unwanted full screen ads in 8 years of Android. So in your case I'd more question the stuff you put in your phone rather than the phone itself.

Minimal apps placed on my phone. Regardless, as said, seemed to happen more when ringtone app downloaded. Stopped mid-download, but if it did indeed come from that one, too late. But why should I have to worry about every darn app I download? This benefits Google/Alphabet and they are the ones' that could easily fix.

macdaddy31

May 29, 2018
Visit site
If I may ask - which apps are on your "needed" list? Some apps that people think they need are actually the cause of such problems. This is not the fault of the OS - I use my Pixel 2 XL and Samsung Tab S3 without seeing unexpected full-screen ads most of the time - only rarely do I get one from a web site I visited in the browser.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forget it. This is not a situation where I am downloading every app in the library. I download few and ones' that are oft-used by many. This is a Google/Alphabet issue that should be fixed!!!

macdaddy31

May 29, 2018
Visit site
These ads show "google play" in the ad. I am bare bones on the apps I have on my device for this very reason. I already had to do a factory reset to rid myself of the problem once. As i said, I lost myself and did download a ringtone app, but canceled mid-download and uninstalled.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Can you take a screenshot of one of those ads and post it here? Maybe that could give us a clue about the culprit.

As stated by other posters, sometimes these ads are pushed by a site that you visited from a browser. They can even show up after you left the browser and are using another app. Just in case, next time you get this popup press the back/return key and see what happens.

Another thing to try is opening your recent apps right after getting this popup and see what shows up in the overview.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ads have been and always will be a thing as long as people prefer not to pay for apps. Before you install a "free" app from the Play Store, look through the reviews and see if there are complaints about ads. If the app has a paid version that gets rid of ads, then pay. It most likely costs less than a cappuccino at Starbucks.

macdaddy31

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Minimal apps placed on my phone. Regardless, as said, seemed to happen more when ringtone app downloaded. Stopped mid-download, but if it did indeed come from that one, too late. But why should I have to worry about every darn app I download? This benefits Google/Alphabet and they are the ones' that could easily fix.

Seems to occur most when the device has been idle for a while.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Forget it. This is not a situation where I am downloading every app in the library. I download few and ones' that are oft-used by many. This is a Google/Alphabet issue that should be fixed!!!

It doesn't matter if you only download one app. If that app has those kinds of ads, you will get it. I know of people who get those ads and don't care. It's NOT a Google issue because if it is, everyone will have it, especially Pixel users. Google doesn't actually serve ads on phones you know. The companies that put ads on apps are separate from Google, like AirPush for instance. It's an independent ad service that pushes ads to your notification bar. App developers can insert that into their apps so they get earnings. Nothing to do with Google.

Basically the issue here is that the apps you chose to download has full screen ads. Delete them. Easy fix.

Doesn't really matter if many others use the same apps you do if others don't care about full screen ads. I know of someone who thought it too much bother to deal with the ads because they're just ads.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That Google Play logo is simply indicating that's where the app will install from, even my local news stations use the logo when advertising their apps, because that's where you can go to install them.

This is the app it's trying to get you to install - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myhomescreen.email

There is some app that seems to want you to install it, but Google is not going to directly "spam" you with those ads for that app, especially since it replaces the functionality of the Gmail app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay