If I delete one or the other launcher,
    will I cause other malfunctions in areas dependent on the specific launcher? I had my original launcher that was on Android 4.4.4, but it kept crashing; I then added the Google Now launcher. Having TWO launchers is eating up valuable space and perhaps is also causing software conflicts.
    I am afraid to delete one or the other because deleting a launcher might freeze the phone or cause other problems. (I also have TWO keyboards - Touchpal and Gboard - on limited space phone, and THREE browsers,
    but those will be a separate nail biting questions to ask in subsequent questions . . . ) Thank you for helping on launcher situation question.
    07-05-2018 10:33 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Assuming the phone isn't rooted, you can't delete the stock Launcher. You should be able to delete the Google Now Launcher, if you initially had to install it from the Play Store. However, if the stock Launcher is buggy, then you might still need it. One thing to try with the stock Launcher is to clear its app cache and data, then see if the bugs continue. Clearing its data means you'll have to set up your homescreens all over again, but that shouldn't take too long.

The same applies to the keyboards and browser. You should be able to uninstall any of them as long as they didn't come preinstalled on the phone.
    07-06-2018 12:08 AM
    Thank you, B. Diddy for your reply on July 5 to my Android launcher, browser and keyboard issues. I have a ZTE817 with the Android system on it. I am very confused.

Launcher kept crashing. (It was the pre-installed one.) CHROME kept crashing. Keyboard was causing difficulties, and kept switching back and forth between Touchpal and something else.

NOW, I have my phone plugged in but it WILL NOT CHARGE, and will not turn on. Could it be being remotely controlled??? I had been having difficulties with someone hacking and changing my text messages for several weeks in the spring, while I had been typing the emails, and I had started texting people about the problem to let them know that not everything that I appeared to be sending was actually my doing, and the problem at that time seemed to have abated . . . perhaps whoever was doing it seemed to have backed off a bit . . . NOW, if they are still reading my searches, texts and emails, perhaps they decided to switch off my phone from time to time?

Meanwhile, as I am on a public PC right now, typing this, I tried to turn my phone on to start checking the information you kindly sent in reply to my Android operating perplexities, of the 5th, and found out that the phone would NOT TURN ON, and furthermore, was NOT CHARGING over the last half hour since I plugged it in.

NOW, Mr. B. Diddy, sir, while typing this previous long-sentence-paragraph, I stopped typing and tried to plug in the phone again to the wall plug: I tried unplugging and re-plugging the charger into the wall about five times: NOTHING charging, and when I pushed the power key, the phone would not turn on . . . even when I tried the method of holding down the volume down key while plugging in the phone to see if the phone would turn on while plugging in. (I found that advice a few days ago on the web when the phone was acting strange.) Finally, a few minutes ago, I decided to take the battery out and then replug in the phone without the battery, and while I was at it, I also slipped out the SD card (which I had set as my primary storage on Android, since I seem to use up all limited storage on the phone, itself (perhaps with two launchers, three browsers and two keyboards) so that perhaps there is hardly any room for RAM operations on the phone ????? ) I needed to see if taking out the SD card might help if it has something on it that interferes with the charging and powering-on issues that have been occurring. (Maybe somebody put some malware??? into the SD storage area??? when they were hacking my phone to control it ???? --- as it seems that someone(s) had been hacking my phone when they were messing with my texting and email writing last spring . . . WHO IN THE WORLD HAD THE INTEREST, TIME, ENERGY AND MALICE TO HAVE BEEN WANTING TO MESS WITH MY TEXTING AND EMAIL WRITING????????? ---- yeesh ------ At any rate, I had done the remove--the-battery/remove-SD-card-and-plug-the-phone-back-into-the-outlet thing twice in the last few days, and the phone had then started charging again and I could then turn it on . . . I am VERY PERPLEXED, but now things got worse:

The WORSE yet: this very moment, when I plugged in the phone, with the volume down button pressed, and then the phone vibrated, letting me know that the phone WAS NOW CHARGING, the screen had illegible to me writing pop up on it:

In little TEENSY RED LETTERS on a black screen SOME SORT OF SYSTEM MESSAGE type of writing appeared, and little TEENSY BLUE LETTERS on a black screen with SYSTEM MESSAGE type of writing;
    Between the teensy red letters and the teensy blue letters that I cannot read, there is a DARK BLUE HORIZONTAL BAR WITH WHITE LETTERS ON THE BLUE BAR SAYING,
    "reboot system now." oh, help . . .

I am scared to "reboot" the whole system and perhaps lose all of my contacts, the web addresses and places I have searched that I keep on my Android (because of all of the difficulties of saving the actual web pages text materials in my drive or in the WORD app which do not seem to work to keep the web page information that I need to read later).

I guess that as long as I am bothering you, I should also ask about my saving of informational web pages to read later: I am trying to get an ice cream stand going and other people seem to be interested in what I am doing, perhaps ?????? An ice cream stand is THAT interesting to them . . . really? . . . I don't know if that explains some of it, Mr. B. Diddy, but I am sure that some of this might seem very, very simple to you, but for me it is all so perplexing and overwhelming . . . oh, yuck and help . . .

I have tried saving the actual web pages in my Triangular Google Drive location from the "share" choice in the little round buttons menu from the top right of the screen, and tried sending the actual pages through Gmail, but neither way seems to save the pages so that I can read them later. I have tried saving the web pages to read later in the WORD app (over 240 MB to store WORD on my little Android phone), and "sharing" the informational pages via email sent to my email, but all I get are the links, without the pages that I need to be able to READ OFFLINE for when I do not have WiFi.)

The only reason I write this last point is because I am being optimistic that the other problems can be coped with:

1) Right now, it is the "system reboot" message that is horrifying.
    2) Then, the phone NOT turning on when I push the power button.
    3) The Android NOT charging, except sometimes, and I cannot figure out what is going on . . . (Yes, I did the lift-the-little-flap-in-the-charging-port so that the connection is snug, and that seems alright, so I cannot figure out WHY the phone chooses to NOT CHARGE so much of the time over the last ten days or so.
    4) The Launcher, Browser and Keyboard issues were what I had started out needing to solve, and to try while I was on a public PC following written directions, and also being able to ask an expert questions if I ran into difficulties with the Android streamlining/unjamming issues that I seem to have caused.

I am AFRAID TO MAKE A MOVE OR TO TOUCH MY ANDROID WHILE IT IS CHARGING, BUT HAS THE SYSTEM message of "reboot now" ---- aaaarrrrggghhhh ----- appearing on the screen . . . I am afraid to even unplug it from the wall . . .

The public access PC I am on will be shutting down at about 4:30 p.m. and I am scared about this "system reboot" message on my Android, as I have to unplug and take the phone with me . . . uh, oh . . . .

Can you help figure this out or refer this to someone who can begin to unpack this catalogue of complications one category at a time????? ( I will not have my Android over the weekend to check ANDROID CENTRAL, if this Android Phone does not function . . . oh, ugh . . . ) Can you HELP?????
    07-07-2018 04:05 PM
    Hi, moderator who need to approve my post before anyone can address the "reboot system now" message I am getting: This is AndroidPerplexed, and maybe you know what I should do in an emergency when I am getting the "reboot system now" message in the blue horizontal bar with white lettering which is showing up on the screen of my phone? Where I am at using a PC to ask questions is closing in approx. 17 + minutes.

If I unplug the Android or try ANY power-on or power-off situation, I might lose all phone functions and/or data in the phone. Where I am at closes at about 4:30 for the weekend . . .

oh, may we find help and mercy from the humans who understand and can guide us in the haywire limited understanding of the electronic universe we are now engulfed in . . .
    07-07-2018 04:15 PM
    When I tried to log in with the "I am not a Robot" captcha, there were problems with the re-Captcha being done on the PC I am on . . . the public PC needed because of the Android issues I am writing to ask you about . . . oh, help . . .
    07-07-2018 04:17 PM
    I do not want to do a "system reboot." How can I avoid this in the next few minutes before I have to unplug the phone and perhaps turn it off --- (or else it will shut off on its own when the charge is not adequate to keep it from shutting off).
    07-07-2018 04:25 PM
    If it's asking you to reboot.. why not reboot?
    07-07-2018 04:53 PM
    Ok, that's an awful lot of information to process. First, be aware that your phone is a 3 year-old budget phone, and in the tech realm, that means it wouldn't be surprising if it was starting to fail due to hardware or firmware issues. I'm not saying that's the reason, but just keep it in mind. The fact that you were struggling to charge the phone and power it on does support this possibility, though.

In general, it's pretty rare for people to be "hacked" and have their texting and emails taken over. More often, it's explained by buggy software, or perhaps a faulty touchscreen that is randomly launching the messaging or email app and typing nonsense text due to "phantom" touches on the touchscreen. Another possibility is that a person forgets to log out of their email account on a public or work computer, and someone else finds that email account still open and decides to have a little "fun." I see open email accounts at work all the time, so it's certainly not out of the question.

The first thing I'd do is boot the phone into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables any app you installed: http://zte-iqorsupport.custhelp.com/...n-safe-mode%3F If the problems go away, then you can narrow it down to something you installed that's causing the instability. But it can be hard to narrow things down further -- you often just have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away outside of Safe Mode. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be an issue with the firmware (i.e., the system software) or the hardware (e.g., the motherboard). There's not much you can do for either of those situations besides bringing it to a repair shop.

It'd help to see some of the screens you're seeing. Here's how to post images: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html. I suspect that the "Reboot System Now" screen is from the Recovery Menu -- this is how you get into it: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/z...recovery-mode/. Rebooting doesn't cause any problem. You could also wipe the system cache partition from that menu, which can be a good general troubleshooting step -- it doesn't affect any of your personal data.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-2018 04:58 PM
    Apologies, I had to edit my previous post a little, because I mistakenly thought at first that you had an LG L90 (I was thinking of another thread I had just looked at).

Getting back to the original question, I would still favor uninstalling any of the additional launchers, keyboard, or browsers for now. So uninstall Google Now Launcher, Gboard or Touchpal (whichever one didn't come preinstalled), and whichever browsers that you installed yourself. Then see if the crashes still happen, either in Safe Mode, or after wiping the system cache partition.
    07-07-2018 05:09 PM
    THANK you for your help and suggestions. I am still working on some of the topics covered in the above. Also, thank you for your messages when you told me that it sounded like my phone had been hijacked, as the problems were not as easy to understand as it might have seemed.

I am now working on other Android issues, which are related to the Google Drive and the SD Card not being able to store pages properly. I do not know if you check "replies" to your posts, but if you do, I hope you will see this thank you to you.

I had sent to other messages of thank you which had disappeared as I was having the difficulties with my phone. I am typing this from a desktop right now, as I am trying to figure out the Google Drive and SD Card storage issues, and the storage in the phone seems to be overloaded as I try to get the storage issues straightened out.

Thank you B. Diddy for being a Senior Ambassador and for your helpfulness.
    08-02-2018 05:11 PM