I have an LG Aristo that recent upgraded to Android 7.0 with T-Mobile.

My phone alarm went off at 6AM this morning without a hitch. Then some time between then and 9AM when I checked my phone again, it had frozen and shut off. The only way I could reboot was to take the cover off and take the battery out.
    It booted up just fine, but I was a little freaked out and wanted to back up text messages and the like in case it decided to die completely.

When I used SMS Backup, it was only backing up 18 messages. There should be hundreds from the last time I backed up in March. I checked Textra (the messaging app I use) and all the messages were there. I checked the default app just to see and there were only the last 18 messages I had sent there.

I want to be able to back up my messages. Is there any reason this would have happened? Can I force sync somehow to get my phone to recognize the texts? I really don't want to lose any of these messages. I know it's my fault for not backing up since March, but is there any fix for this?

Thanks in advance!
    07-09-2018 09:53 AM
    Have you set the stock messaging app as the default (or the app you're using for back up as the default)? I believe that unless you do so, the app doesn't 'see' newer messages.
    07-09-2018 12:32 PM
    When you run SMS Backup, it should ask if you'll allow it to become the default SMS app (because only the default app can access the SMS database). When it finishes, it should ask you if you want to switch back to whatever was the default when you started it (or running an SMS app should ask if you want to make it the default).

From the SMS Backup & Restore page:

- If you have performed the Restore and the messages don't appear in your messaging app then:
    - Open your messaging app and Disable SMS from Settings.
    - Exit the app
    - Open the app again and Enable SMS from Settings
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-09-2018 02:46 PM