how can I delete an app, specifically SmartThings

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

If I can't delete it, can I at least make it stop permanently? AND, I can't seem to delete the icon from my home screen. Aaaarrrggg!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? If it was preinstalled, you probably can't uninstall it. The best you can do is Disable it -- go to Settings>Apps, select SmartThings, and look for a Disable button. This will uninstall all updates from the app and prevent it from opening.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge SmartThings isn't a system app (at least it isn't in T-Mobile's S9 line) and you can uninstall it from the Applications section in your phone's settings.

Not sure why you can't delete the icon from your homescreen unless you're using something restricted like Kids Mode or Easy Mode in Samsung's stock launcher or if the app shortcuts have been locked (also an option in a lot of launchers).

SmartThings only has an option to constantly appear on the notification bar, but no permanent shortcut (and the notification bar access can be disabled from SmartThings' settings inside the app).

rlwremo

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
Hi. Sorry I know this is an older thread . . . .

What exactly is the SmartThngs app? We have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I'm pretty sure it wasn't installed at the beginning because there was a downloaded file dated late 2017 (which was after purchasing the phone). I deleted the downloaded file but am afraid to delete the app (my better halfs phone) for fear it might impact other apps . . .

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Sorry I know this is an older thread . . . .

What exactly is the SmartThngs app? We have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I'm pretty sure it wasn't installed at the beginning because there was a downloaded file dated late 2017 (which was after purchasing the phone). I deleted the downloaded file but am afraid to delete the app (my better halfs phone) for fear it might impact other apps . . .

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Welcome to Android Central! It allows you to control your linked Samsung Smartthings connected devices: https://www.smartthings.com/

rlwremo

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
I remember reading that now that you mention it . . .. we don't use the phone that way (to connect to any devices) unless it is somehow connected to "smart switch" for backing thing up from the phone via the usb cable (which is also how we copy pictures, etc to our computer).

rlwremo

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
If it is a preinstalled app, then the Uninstall option might just uninstall updates, after which you might be presented with a Disable button.

Thanks! I had read something elsewhere that disabling an app would remove any pending updates (which can't be installed because of the space issue). Once I've worked up the courage to give it a go I will report what happens. Thanks all!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae