When I dial a phone number, the phone rings, but then it immediately drops the call.
    07-12-2018 08:03 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34311
    07-12-2018 12:13 PM
    If wiping cache doesn't fix it, bring the phone to your carrier. It's their update, so it's their problem. (It could be something with the phone, it could be something with the update or it could coincidentally be something with your account. Only they can fix the last 2.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-12-2018 12:26 PM
    Hey @Rukbat, just curious -- have you had any success with carriers taking care of issues arising from bad updates? It makes sense from a responsibility standpoint, but in the real world setting, I wonder how willing a carrier store is to address the problem.
    07-12-2018 12:51 PM
    AT&T tech support (not the store or the DSC) started to offer me two options when I explained what their update had done. The first option was "We can send you a refurb" - I stopped him at that point and told him to send it. (If the update causes the phone to not work, it's a liability issue, warranty or not. My phone was about a year out of warranty when an update caused the modem - the cellular radio - to go bad.)

As a dealer, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I've had T-Mobile, Sprint and Nextel (when they were separate companies) replace phones for bad updates I couldn't fix (or didn't want to be bothered with in the case of Nextel). Never had a bad one with AT&T, Cingular (who is now AT&T Wireless) or, back when they operated, VoiceStream. (Verizon is a different story - if you get the one person who has some intelligence, you'll get a refurb - but he;'s usually not working. Their stores with repair centers are better, though.)

The other big 3 in the US are pretty good, once you get the right people. (I messed up my first update on my Pixel 2, and Google tech support decided that it was a hardware problem and replaced the phone. When the same thing happened the second month they were happy to replace it again, but while waiting for it I decided that I couldn't be that unlucky and it had to be something I could fix. And I fixed it and asked them if I could return the replacement unopened and have it taken off my record, which they were glad to do. [Turning a new phone into a refurb for no reason isn't something they'd want to do.])

The MVNOs? Probably not. They work on much slimmer margins. The same with the smaller carriers - C Spire and companies like that.

In most other countries, I don't think the carriers will even talk to you - you have to go to the manufacturers, and then it's a real crap shoot. I've heard of even Samsung phones being replaced, and just getting a bad SD card replaced by them can be a nightmare. (We have a 2 week return policy on almost every cellpone deal - most European and Asian countries have never heard of such a thing. Once you've paid, that's it.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-12-2018 01:39 PM