My laptop doesn't recognize my phone using the USB

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I asked this a week ago with no reply so I'll try again (come on, Internet! I need you!). I have had my LG G6 for roughly a year now and never had this issue until last weekend. When I connect my phone to my computer with the charging chord my phone says it's charging, but no new drive appears in my File Explorer, nor does the File Transfer or USB emblem appear in the notification tray on my phone. I have a second cable I've used before that doesn't work now either (still charges the phone just fine). I've searched these forums and done everything that applies: updated all drivers, tried USB debugging in developer mode, I even reset all my preferences and settings to default, thinking I may have accidentally disallowed my phone to be accessible from my laptop. All to no avail. I'm at my wit's end here.
Thanks in advance.
Additional Info:
LG G6 on Verizon running Android 8.0.0
Windows 10

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Sorry about the no reply last time. We can get busy at times and a question asked an hour prior can get buried quickly.

As for your issue...when you connect to your PC, you should have 2 OS notifications come up. One should say charging this device. Tap on that and then select File Transfer.

og_kernel

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm the OP, sorry, I thought I was still signed into my account when I posted. To answer those gracious enough to try and help, nothing appears in the notification tray when plugged into the computer. Literally all that happens is the "battery" symbol in the top right turns into the "charging" symbol, just the same as plugging the phone into a wall outlet. Normally when connecting the two my computer gives a little "ba-bum" and then your standard "allow access to device" on the phone's notification screen. But, as stated previously, these no longer occur.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
On the phone, check the developer settings to see if you have the option to set the default USB connection type to MTP.

On the computer, make sure you are plugging the phone into a primary USB port, not a USB hub.

og_kernel

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I was kinda figuring that was the problem, but I can't make sense as to why that functionality would cease when the port still charges with both cables just fine. Technology is a fickle mistress, indeed

MTaqi

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
Same problem

Im facing the same problem here. And its happened only when i upgrade to android 9. First i try the developer options and enable the USB debugging option and chose the MTP
and its work but after one day its not even when i try the same coz its by default its go back to charge only and every time u need to make it MTP. But now its not working even when i do these options. Anyone have a solution pls tell us l. Im stack and have no solution to this awful problem😑😢

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463