I've seen many questions about being unable to find downloaded images in the gallery. That's true for me, too, but that's not the problem. I've checked the file manager in every single visible folder, starting with Downloads, Images, and Pictures, and the files are nowhere to be found. I'm using ES File Explorer, but I've also checked My Files.

After downloading the image, it can be viewed once by clicking the download notification. After that, the notification vanishes, as does my access to the image. And never am I given the option to jump to the file location. What is going on here, and how do I fix it?
    07-13-2018 03:23 PM
    Which phone?
    Which version of android?
    Which carrier?
    Which app is doing the download?
    07-13-2018 08:40 PM
    @ManiacJoe:

Galaxy J3 Prime

Android 7.0, Nougat

T-Mobile

Chrome Browser
    07-13-2018 09:48 PM
    I've seen many questions about being unable to find downloaded images in the gallery. That's true for me, too, but that's not the problem. I've checked the file manager in every single visible folder, starting with Downloads, Images, and Pictures, and the files are nowhere to be found. I'm using ES File Explorer, but I've also checked My Files.

After downloading the image, it can be viewed once by clicking the download notification. After that, the notification vanishes, as does my access to the image. And never am I given the option to jump to the file location. What is going on here, and how do I fix it?

Phone: Galaxy J3 Prime

Android version: 7.0 Nougat

Carrier: T-Mobile

App used to download: Chrome Browser/Google search widget
    07-14-2018 03:38 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Duplicate threads merged.

It's important to know which app you're using when you download the image. If you download an image while you using the Google search app, that image gets saved to a protected system directory called /document that you can't access with the file manager app, and can therefore only see the image from within the Google search app. If you download the image while you're using the Chrome browser, then the images save to the /Download directory, which is accessible with the file manager app.
    07-14-2018 03:56 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Duplicate threads merged.

It's important to know which app you're using when you download the image. If you download an image while you using the Google search app, that image gets saved to a protected system directory called /document that you can't access with the file manager app, and can therefore only see the image from within the Google search app. If you download the image while you're using the Chrome browser, then the images save to the /Download directory, which is accessible with the file manager app.
    Honestly, that's ridiculous. So is there any way to retrieve or delete the images from the /document directory?
    07-15-2018 10:08 PM
    No arguments here. All I can suggest is to send Google feedback about how ridiculous that discrepancy is. When I just tested it out again, I was able to see the downloaded image in the Downloads "app," but once I select it, it still shows that it's located in the /document directory. I think you can Share it to your Google Drive, though, so that's one way to get it to a more accessible location.
    07-16-2018 11:40 PM