I have the international version of the Nokia 6.1 (2018). (Model: TA-1068) As I am in the US it doesn't come with support for the correct LTE bands out of the box. I am trying to figure out if I can enable them. It has Android 8.1 with the June security patch. I am trying to do this without root, but if there is a way with root I may be willing to try that if I get desperate. If I need to supply any more information let me know. If you know how to do this I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks,
    Kevin Long
    07-18-2018 06:19 PM
    Usually it's not a software unlock, the hardware is just simply not there. Looking at the specs for the phone (https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6_1-8972.php) I don't see any support for US networks listed explicitly.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    kevinlong likes this.
    07-18-2018 07:30 PM
    I want to do something like this, (https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ds-to-t2886059) but without root if possible. As far as I can tell my devices has the correct hardware to support US LTE bands it is just not enabled. The SDM630 supports FDD and TDD so it should just be a software issue with my phone. The Moto X4 in the US uses the same chip along with the US version of the Nokia 6.1 (2018). If I am wrong or don't understand something please let me know, but I think it should be possible.
    07-19-2018 06:57 AM
    Reading how to do it, not happening without root. The things that need to be modified are tightly locked down unless you root the device AND install a custom ROM (which STILL does not actually do the job, you still need to make more edits). The folks over at XDA are bright, if they haven't figured out a rootless way to do it, there isn't one.
    kevinlong likes this.
    07-19-2018 07:11 AM
    Do you think my carrier would be able to do it, or is that not something they have access to?
    07-19-2018 07:14 AM
    Reading the XDA post, they won't have access, and since the device wasn't sold by them they will be VERY reluctant to even consider trying to make it work anyway.

Changing the NVRAM (which is what XDA is pointing to) is not without risk. The NVRAM is like the BIOS on a Windows computer, except it's inaccessible
    kevinlong likes this.
    07-19-2018 08:47 AM
    Alright. Thanks for helping me.
    07-19-2018 09:38 AM