Why does my google assistant launch when i nudge the headphone jack a bit?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm on a Motorcycle X4 and I've only recently had this problem. I'm using the new Galaxy S9 stock earbuds to listen to and watch forms of media. I've tried disabling the assistant completely but for some reason when I even nudge the connector it opens up a white bar at the top and makes the sound that the Google assistant has opened. And on multiple occasions it's changed the volume independent of my controls. To fix the problem temporarily I unplug the earbuds and plug then back in. But right after if I nudge them it does it again. I'm at a loss for what to do so I'm coming here for help. I need an answer for how to solve this problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A lot of headphones can be set to launch Google Assistant if you press one of the remote buttons on the headphone cable. That signal is transmitted through one of the contact rings on the headphone plug. There can be slight differences in the configuration of these contact rings, both between phones and between headphone jacks. It's possible that the Samsung headphones have a plug that is slightly off compared to the Moto X4's headphone jack configuration, so nudging the plug while it's in the jack could be sending a false signal for the Google Assistant button.