Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
    I recently downloaded an app called Flashlight, it is now saying it will charge me after 24 hours. I have removed the app but will this stop them charging me?
    07-22-2018 08:27 AM
    Did it say it will automatically charge you? Or that to keep using it, you would have to pay (meaning it would lock you out until you consent to making the payment)?

No app can legally charge you without your consent, which is why I asked. The exact wording of the payment notice is important, as how it should be handled is different. I can almost bet that the app isn't going to automatically charge you, but that it's the other possibility I mentioned. It's common for apps to give you a free trial period that requires you to pay to keep using it after the free trial is over. If you don't pay, the app simply no longer works. Uninstalling it would be fine in this case.

There's lots of flashlight apps in Google Play. It would be helpful if you could create an account here to both give us answers to the above questions and even link us to the specific app you used.
    07-22-2018 08:43 AM
    KatSenna signed up and sent me a PM about this. With their permission, I am copying that message and replying to it here to keep the conversation going for others to help or even provide answers for people having a similar issue.

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. The app is called Flashlight owned by Eyacker.com. It’s actually my dads phone. He said it said it was free then it came up with a message at the bottom saying he would be charged £4.50 a week starting in 24 hours. He hasn’t given any bank details but we were wondering if they can charge it to his phone bill? Sorry, we aren’t very tech savvy.
    I went to the Google play store and found this app, which I installed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ker.flashlight

So far it's only been ad supported with no payment requests. Is this the app your father has? If so, did he also install it from Google Play or somewhere else? Better yet, can you or him get a screenshot (usually by pressing and holding the volume down and power buttons at the same time) or take a photo of this message and upload it here?
    belodion likes this.
    07-22-2018 09:23 AM
    Hi, endeavouring to upload a photo
    Attached Thumbnails Being charged for Flashlight App-61b8df49-f6dc-4d2e-b09d-f12f79339d19.jpg  
    07-22-2018 09:45 AM
    Yes that looks like the app, thank you for your help. Not sure where he downloaded it from
    07-22-2018 09:52 AM
    Hi, endeavouring to upload a photo
    Thanks. Do you happen to know which app store that is from? I don't recognize it, and this is what the Google Play (the main legitimate app store) entry looks like.

Being charged for Flashlight App-capture-2b_2018-07-22-09-50-49.jpg

There are a lot of app stores that are shady and may hack legitimate apps to try scamming users.
    07-22-2018 09:54 AM
    Thank you. So hopefully if it hasn’t been hacked, we shouldn’t get charged. I guess it will be a wait and see situation?
    07-22-2018 10:01 AM
    Thank you. So hopefully if it hasn’t been hacked, we shouldn’t get charged. I guess it will be a wait and see situation?
    More than likely you're ok because he didn't give any banking info. But I'd still try to get to the bottom of this if I were you, because things still don't add up. Flashlight apps are a dime a dozen and are some of the simplest apps to make. So there's no legitimate reason one would charge a weekly rate (a small one time fee is ok by me if you think it's worth it), and the official app listing at the Play store show that one hasn't been updated since 2015.

Can you get another pic uploaded showing the payment notice itself?
    07-22-2018 10:07 AM
    I can’t get a pic of the message as it disappeared when I deleted the app. It had a clock counting down. The only way they can take money is if they charge his phone if this is possible? If we get a charge then will perhaps speak to his provider about it
    07-22-2018 10:13 AM
    He got a message to say “txt stop load to 83463” which he did but the message wouldn’t go through and the time kept counting down
    07-22-2018 10:19 AM
    Just read that adverts are scamming people by tricking them into thinking the app will be charged and that you need to txt the above number to stop it. They charge around £5 per txt. So the app is good but the advert sounds like it is corrupt. We are contacting service provider now. Thank you so much for your help. You have been a star and helped me to understand it a lot more
    07-22-2018 10:33 AM
    Yeah, that would make sense that an ad could try scamming you like that (usually it's "antivirus" companies doing stuff like that). I was also chatting with another member and he said that looks like a Windows Phone and the Windows app store, which would be a legit place for those apps. I'm only familiar with the Android side of things, but there is a sister site called Windows Central that would be able to better help with issues on those phones in the future.

In either case, glad it seems you got it worked out.
    07-22-2018 10:49 AM
    Thanks, the phone provider said he hasn’t been charged which is a relief. Ah Windows, that’s it, sorry, ha ha I’m 38 I should be more knowledgeable about these things. You have been so kind and helped us get to the bottom of it, we will sleep well tonight lol
    07-22-2018 11:03 AM
    For the future, NEVER text or email anything to anyone you aten't sure of. Just the fact that you respond makes it a verified number or email account, increasing its value to people who sell lists of those things by 10 times or more.

No one can "charge a phone", because the only charges to the phone are made by the carrier, and any carrier that went along with a scheme like that, here in the US or there in the British Isles, would be wearing stripes for a long time if they did (and not pinstripes). So if you don't know it, phone number, text number or email address, reject the phone number (or get a phone number blocker that gives a "disconnected" notice - those usually work to get your number removed from the list), delete the text (or save it for the authorities) and the same with the email - but don't even open emails you aren't sure of.

And be aware (you're 38, I'm 76, and I'm telling you - who says old people are technologically challenged?) that the phone number you see calling you, even if it looks like a local number, may be coming from overseas. Phone scammers spoof the caller ID to show any ID they want. (And, if it looks as if it might be a neighbor, you're more likely to answer - and get solicited for life insurance, roof repair or whatever they're selling today.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-2018 03:24 PM