Why is there 'No Sound' in my General notifications?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I downloaded a notification sound from Zedge but it got on my husband's nerves so I tried to uninstall it. After a lot of faffing around, I managed to get rid of it but I don't know what I did, and now I don't get any sound at all for texts & General Notifications is switched to 'No sound'. I think Zedge hijacked my phone because I can't use any of the notification sounds that came with the phone (Galaxy A5 2017). Can anyone help please? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to your system settings for Notifications and choose the option to select a notification tone -- do you see the preinstalled tones listed there, or is the list completely blank? If you see them, then what happens if you select one -- nothing? Does it play a sample for you?

bintymins

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I can see the list of notification sounds and they play a sample when I select them but I'm not getting any sounds for my messages. I'm following this 'path' to check the messages app:

settings - apps - messages - app notifications & it says that app notifications in messages is 'on', but under General Notifications where you would normally have the name of the tone you have selected, it says 'no sound'.

Does that make sense?!?

jameny5

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
I had the very same issue. I don't know how I resolved the problem. Are you using the priority feature. (If your phone has it) Sometimes it will silence the ringer if you turn the feature on.

bintymins

Jul 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi, sorry for the long delay..... I was scared to wipe the cache partition! I'm really useless with technology & I was afraid that it would wipe the entire phone or something!:-[ Anyway, I followed the tutorial & rebooted but there's still no sound for my text messages. Do you have any other ideas please?:)