Webpage suddenly redirects to advert page all by itself? Galaxy S9+

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Background & phone setup: I just got this phone two weeks ago (Samsung GS9+), not rooted, haven't added any particularly any apps other than a few from the Google play store (Alkido reader, Avast security, Candy Crush <yeah, I'm know>, ESPN, and Firefox beta, and a few Google and Samsung apps. No outside apps, APKs, ringtones, themes, etc. So minus disabling Bixby and a few unnecessary bloatware apps here and there, the phone is basically. Both avast and the Verizkn/Samsung built-in security scan give the phone a clean bill of health.

Problem: I will be looking at a website, scrolling thru, reading, etc., say Buzzfeed.com, (though it does happen with other websites) suddenly it will redirect me to another page; suddenly, and without me clicking or doing anything.

For example here's one place I got sent: ads.tripslelift.com/track<numbers>. Theres more numbers and I'm sure tracking info to the link but it's super long and wasn't sure if it was necessary.

I never have this issue in Firefox beta (which is why I got it actually). I have my Chrome browser set to block ads, popups and redirects are blocked, Do Not Track, safe browsing is on, third party cookies are blocked, and I clean my site storage, and browsing data virtually every time I close Chrome. I also clear both Firefox and Chrome browser/privacy data at the end of each day as well.

So I am really at a loss why these webpage redirect/changes keep happening. Especially with a brand new phone on multiple different websites.

Halp?

Ncnbafan

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Negative. Select Blocked.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. When i types "on", I meant it's blocking. So It is set to "blocked". Meaning, when when you click on the option it states "blocked", not "allowed".

I'm sorry for the bad confusingness in my part. And greatly appreciate the responses. This issue had been seriously been a problem for me.

Ncnbafan

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Your next step is to uninstall Chrome, wipe your cache partition and reinstall Chrome.

I don't have a problem doing this step but I'm curious; is this problem, as well as your suggested solution,.something typical for an unused item straight out of the box ? And what does this step do to fix the crappy problem other than start chrome from scratch I guess? But wouldn't 'tthe stock phone already be starting from scratch/unused/new? Not questioning the logic just how it works! Just asking so i can expand my limited knowledge.

Ncnbafan

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Your next step is to uninstall Chrome, wipe your cache partition and reinstall Chrome.

Well I attempted to uninstall Chrome but wasn't successful. Other than maybe rooting the phone? Which I cant do because of the warranty, how can i remove chrome, so I can then wipe the cache partition, then be able to reinstall it? The most I could accomplish was force stop, then disable, then I removed the updates to it via the Google play store, then reupdated it again. Then enabled it again.

Other than that, I didn't see what else I was able to do to the app. Kind of at a loss again here, sorry.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
When you open the play store, do you see this?
4742a2aa0cd4ad68e8afb7a6ac811fd4.jpg

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
All I can think of is that the phone provider loaded it up with bloatware. Can you go to the store you just got it from?
If not, boot into safe mode and use Chrome. If the Popups continue, you have a real problem. If no Popups, then uninstall the apps you added 1 by 1. I would start with any games, flashlights, or cleaners.

Last edited:

Ncnbafan

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
All I can think of is that the phone provider loaded it up with bloatware. Can you go to the store you just got it from?
If not, boot into safe mode and use Chrome. If the Popups continue, you have a real problem. If no Popups, then uninstall the apps you added 1 by 1. I would start with any games, flashlights, or cleaners.

Yep. Chrome came preloaded with the phone.
The only apps I've downloaded are a few Google ones (keep, clock). Otherwise, all I have are Avast, (thought it was good for mobile phobe security but maybe not I guess low anymore), Firefox, ESPN, candy crush and aldiko (the ereader). That's it.
Ill go to the store (best buy) today and speak with them. And try the safe mode boot up too.

Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to answer my clueless questions. Thanks!

Ncnbafan

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Uninstall candy crush and then clear your cache.

I removed candy crush, then cleared the partition cache (had to Google a how-to), and the redirect problem still seems to be an issue. Why Is is still doing this? Is my phone/chrome app already hit with a virus or something in the twoish weeks I've had it? And with Avast downloaded plus the built in security & privacy app (macfee-based I believe) Verizon has preinstalled since day one? I mean I know I only use the free Avast but damn...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like a website with a redirect to an ad site (on the site you went to). Some browsers (like Firefox) can block that, others can't. (Which is one reason I use Firefox. Chrome, for me, is only for those sites that require Chrome and won't work with anything else.)