I dumped my phone in the water. I took it to a shop witch put it in a "bath" over night that displaces water and removes any corrosion. Next the sim card reader and charger wouldn't work. At this point I factory reset and wiped the cache partition.
    This fixed the charging issue, but the sim still doesn't read. do I need to reinstall the firmware with ODIN, or is there some way I can just download factory firmware over wifi? and I already tried searching for updates on the phone itself, that did nothing. Any suggestions?
    08-06-2018 11:32 AM
    I doubt it's the firmware (which you'd have to do with Odin), but corrosion in the SIM card reader (which can start before you even get it out of the water). You may need a new SIM card port. But it really wouldn't pay, because the corrosion already there will probably cause other things to fail in the near future. (Assuming that they disassembled the phone before putting it into the alcohol - which removes water and dissolved chemicals, but not corrosion - metal that's already been dissolved can't be "put back".)

A new phone would cost about $200. A complete teardown to replace the port and fix any corrosion woulkdn't cost that much less. (See

to see what mild corrosion looks like.)
    08-06-2018 04:58 PM