I just updated my Pixel XL to Pie, and I have to say, I'm really not a fan. "Overview" is something that might be good on a tablet, but does not work on a smaller device. The weather on the lock screen is both useless and unremovable. The icons look like something designed for a child, while the brightness levels have completely changed.

In short, I want to roll back to Oreo.

I've done some searching, and the only option I've come across involves using a bootloader. I wanted to see if anyone here knew of any better/easier/less invasive ways of restoring Oreo to my phone.

Thanks!
    08-09-2018 08:30 AM
    You have to completely re-write the OS to the device. It can be done, Google provides the tools to do it, but it IS going to be invasive as you effectively end up with a wiped device and have to set it up from scratch again.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    08-09-2018 08:35 AM
    Thanks, hallux! This is the OP, just created an account.

Do Google's tools require flashing roms, or is there an easier step? I'm not particularly worried about having to do a "set up from scratch," especially if it doesn't involve flashing.

Thanks!
    08-09-2018 08:42 AM
    Yes, it's effectively flashing a ROM but the tools for doing it are Google-provided when you're dealing with Pixel devices. The term is "factory image".

https://developers.google.com/android/images should have ALL of the info you need. Read everything carefully and decide for yourself if you can follow the steps as outlined. Be sure to have a backup of any data (contacts, pictures, etc) that you need, if it's not already synced to the cloud someplace.
    08-09-2018 10:17 AM
    Thank you!
    08-09-2018 12:37 PM