All apps have to be on internal storage Android 8.0

congaman59

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I was having a problem on my S7 after the android 8.0 update. The icons for all the apps installed on my SD card were Greyed out. I called my Sprint tech people and after a week or so of going around and around with countless techs I found out today it's not my phone it's a new wrinkle in android 8.0. What is the use in having an SD card if you can't put apps on it?
What moron at Google thought this was a good idea???? Is there some way around this? No I don't have an unlocked phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SD cards were never meant for apps. (Google even used to warn us to not put apps on SD cards, but everyone ignored them, so they stopped the warning. Then everyone started complaining about apps not working when they were moved to the SD card.) Android is designed to run apps from internal storage. Even if you do move an app to the SD card, you're moving pieces, and each piece leaves a link in internal storage, pointing to where that piece is located on the card (because Android looks in internal storage for apps).

SD cards are for storing files. You can store pictures, videos, full-length movies, music, documents - any data. Just not apps. (You can extract an app to an .apk file and store it on the card, but you have to install it to run it.)

That's why phones are starting to come out with 512GB of internal storage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol