messaging apps that don't compress video/photos

MrJustastic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for messaging app options that don't unreasonably compress videos and photos when sent.

I'm mostly used to iMessage and its great at sending great photos/videos without crunching them down to other iPhone users, but I've family on Android and I want to enjoy sending/receiving photos and videos of my daughter with them too.

I got a nice video yesterday of my daughter whilst grandma was watching her, but she sent it via MMS and it was compressed beyond clarity. I need to set her up with something simple that she'll be inclined to use.

I've read that you can email the files instead, or use dropbox and youtube. This is too complicated.

How much does FB Messenger compress things? WhatsApp? Are they reasonable or is there something better?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What you need is a non-SMS/MMS messaging system that just uses data to transport the media. Facebook Messenger (as long as it's using the Facebook network and not being used as a texting app), Whatsapp, Hangouts will all work for this. Alternatively, you could put the media into cloud storage of some kind and share the link through an SMS.

Once RCS is more ubiquitous and works cross-carrier this issue should go away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsmith786x