Work google account on personal android phone. How to limit work account permissions to track/wipe?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Like everyone else, for convenience sake, I have my work google account on my personal phone to check email/calendar/etc. In doing so, by default this gives the google account full permissions to wipe my phone through the work account. Basically giving someone else (company IT) access to my phone in a limited but powerful way.
Any way that I can still use these work google account features but limit it's permissions to take over my phone?
As of now, deleted the google account and I log onto my work email account threw the phone chrome browser, but now am limited in functionalities.
Thank you in advance for you input.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine that in order to use work email on your device there is a requirement to comply with whatever policy they may push. That said, those policies should only impact THAT profile or account, except the screen security policy.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
If it was me, get a dual sim phone, a separate phone number should be 15 or 20 a month to add. Initialize it with a new Gmail account and never link the 2.
Not only can your it dept get into your phone/computer, but anyone who hacks your company will get all your phone info.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung was supposed to have fixed that with Knox - the work account and the personal account would be totally separate.

Instead they gave us a phone that can't be rooted easily, can't have the bootloader unlocked - and still has no way to separate the accounts.

And anyone getting into your personal phone gets access to all your work emails and software. It's a problem. No one makes a phone with 2 totally separate userdata partitions that you can switch between only if you have physical access to the phone. About the best you can do now, as methodman said, is to convince the company how dangerous it is if someone hacks your personal phone and gets company emails and software, and carry 2 phones with you. Maybe sometime in the future, someone will come out with a phone with 2 separate userdata partitions that you can only switch if you have physical access to the phone. Then, with a dual-active SIM phone, you can keep your work and personal data (and numbers) on the same phone with safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12