Android 5s (non-jellybean) connecting to every open wi-fi

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'd love it to stop doing this since, if I'm using GPS to get me somewhere, the Google screen pops up at nearly every intersection since someone nearby will have an open wi-fi. My phone will try to connect to it automatically.

How do I stop this? So far, the only functioning stop has been to turn off the wi-fi entirely.

Scanning is off and now I have automatic switching turned off but haven't left the house yet, to see if this works. I'd love to still be able to connect to my home, secured wi-fi without the phone connecting to absolutely every other unsecured wi-fi without asking me. Also I don't want it to ask me, I just want it to not connect unless I tell it I'd like to connect to a wi-fi and search for one.

Generally, I get home from a drive and, if wi-fi was left on, there are a dozen or so google pages open. The weird thing is, on Firefox, Google isn't my homepage. weather.com is.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Is this a Galaxy S5?

Go to Settings>Wi-fi and tap Menu>Advanced. Look for an option for connecting automatically to open networks, and turn that off.