Should I buy an original Pixel XL or S9 in August 2018?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I went in to Verizon authorized dealer to upgrade my S6 to an S9. They offered me a Pixel XL to try risk free for up to 12 days and I could return and get the S9 if I don't like it.

Didn't know anything about Pixel XL at the time. I now see it's an old version that Google and Verizon online is not even selling anymore, and the unlocked price online is at least $250 less than Verizon charged me. Is it a bad idea/waste of money to keep the Pixel XL at this point? Was I duped just to get rid of old stock or is this worth keeping? Should I just return and pay ~$200 more to go with the S9?

Thank you for any guidance.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You're really looking at phones 2 generations apart. The Pixel XL (first generation) runs the SD821 chipset while the S9 is on the SD845. The Pixel 2 XL would be a closer comparison, using the SD835.

The Verizon rep is trying to clear stock of older devices and hopes you'll be happy with the older Pixel. I'm not endorsing the S9 (I haven't used it), but if the option was the Pixel 2 XL, it'd be worth it. Between the first-gen Pixel XL and the S9, I might actually consider the Samsung...

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd also suggest the Pixel 2 XL, but not from Verizon if you ever want to be able to unlock the bootloader. Buy it from Google - their "plan", if you decide to charge it, is $0 down and probably not much more than Verizon gets (maybe even less - it's through Sychrony Bank). You can also add preferred service to it.

And, if you want just a little longer, you can get the Pixel 3 XL or, if you want to save some money, wait until Google drops the prices on the 2 XL (if they do - the warehouse is already out of Pixel 2s).

(Does that mean that my "brand new replacement for my Pixel 2" [because the one coming on Tuesday will be my 4th, and if it doesn't work I get a new one] will have to be a 3? Poor me, huh?)