I've read that I shouldn't get water on my google pixel 2 intentionally, but since it's somewhat water resistant, can steam from a shower damage it?
    08-24-2018 07:38 PM
    Yes, it's possible. The phone is rated for still-water immersion, steam does not count on that. I consider the water resistance rating a safety net, not a license to get the phone wet.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    Rukbat likes this.
    08-24-2018 07:40 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you take some precautions. Namely having an exhaust vent running to keep stream from accumulating as bad, not running water so hot you turn into a lobster, and keeping your phone on a low shelf below the majority of the steam.

This won't make your phone 100% safe, but it's what I do with my non-water resistant V20 and haven't had any problems with it. I would not take it into the shower itself, or have it in the bathroom if you don't have an exhaust vent and have very hot water. If you're wanting to listen to music, just get a cheap Bluetooth shower speaker. Much better sounding and you can leave your phone further away/outside the bathroom. This is the one I have and it sounds pretty good for its size and price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FX...cUvbUpU6319888
    hallux likes this.
    08-24-2018 09:01 PM
    ABSOLUTELY!

Even an IP-68 phone isn't air-proof, so it isn't steamproof. The steam will get inside the phone. Then, when the phone cools down, the steam will condense and you'll have water all over the inside of the phone - and eventually (a matter of weeks or months, depending on the dirt in the air that got into the phone). the phone will stop working - and it's not covered by the warranty - nor even by preferred service.

You shouldn't have the phone in the bathroom when you take a shower - not even on the other side of the room.

(The same thing happens when bringing a room temperature phone into a sub-freezing outdoors, or a sub-freezing phone into a warm humid space [like anywhere there's a humidifier running or a fire burning].)
    08-25-2018 01:05 PM