Can our google fi moto phone be use with another service?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

we are seniors & had to switch from a flip phone to newer smart phone. Being new to all of this we went with google fi 45 days ago, Customer service help set our account and phone service up, moto x4, but did so with another email address we have. Their mistake has cost us additional phone charges, closed account and expensive phone we can not use. Seems Google can not correct issue, or willing to do so. We were just following customer services guidance. Really feel we have been taken advantage of. Best advice is stay with the big three .. Can we use this phone with another service or are we stuck with google?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, you're not stuck. You can sign up with any carrier (any service), and have them port your number from Google (which will close your Fi account). And you can use any email address you want, the old one, the new one or both of them. (I have 4 of my 5 email addresses in my smartphone. It was on Fi, until I moved it to Mint Mobile. If you don't use much data (or have wifi and don't need much data, you can get Mint for $15/month if you pay in advance.)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That's disappointing to hear. I'm with Fi and have been happy with the customer support experiences I've had.

The phone has what is called an IMEI, which can be found in the About Phone section of the Settings app. Then, this site has a handy tool for checking that to see if the device has been reported stolen (which would prevent it from being used on ANY network) - https://swappa.com/esn?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUacUvbUpU6323439 There is even a link to a video on how to find that info (it's also printed on the box)

If it checks clean (I'm not saying you stole it but if there was a billing/payment issue and the device was somehow not marked as fully paid off it would appear marked as "stolen") then you SHOULD be able to get service from almost any carrier.

I'm not clear how an email address mistake (especially using one you already had) could have resulted in something like this.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463