Hi. Probably a ridiculous question. I'm using about 15 of 32 gb phone space on the S7. Would adding an SD card and moving files or rarely used apps to it increase performance at all or is the benefit strictly more room?
    09-07-2018 02:05 AM
    Just more room. If you're only using 15GB, there's a whole lot more room than needed for the temp files that day to day operation would need.
    09-07-2018 02:09 AM
    And if you really start running out of space and put an SD card in (at least a 128GB card these days, a larger one, to allow for the future if you can afford it - and a SanDisk card; they may be a little more expensive, but (if it should ever happen - in the 17 or 18 years [at least] that I've been using their cards, only one failed - I snapped it in half; I still have a working 32MB card - totally useless, but it still works) if one of their cards goes bad during the warranty (and the cheapest line is warrantied for 5 years - the best line is guaranteed for as long as SanDisk exists), getting it replaced is as simple as connecting to their site, entering a life chat and asking for an RMA. (With Samsung, the only other manufacturer of the chips that go into the cards, it's as simple as a few hours on the phone, trying to find the right person to talk to, answering questions that have nothing to do with the card, you'd think that they suspect that you used black magic to make the card fail.)

Don't move apps to the card, it's not designed for that. (It works, but it doesn't save much space [apps get moved in little pieces, and each piece leaves a link to where it is on the card in internal storage, so if a link is larger than the piece moved, you just wasted space (links are fixed size, regardless of how small a thing they link to)] - and due to the way Android works, an app on an SD card can quickly destroy the card.) Use it for pictures, videos, music, podcasts, any data - but not apps.
    09-07-2018 01:58 PM