Hi. Using about 15GB of 32 on my S7. My question is if I get an SD card and put some extra media and lightly used apps on there will that help at all with performance?
    09-07-2018 11:08 PM
    If by "performance," you mean how fast apps load and how smoothly they operate, then no, the SD won't help. In fact, it would probably decrease the performance somewhat, since read/write speeds for an SD are always slower than for onboard memory. The main thing an SD card can help you with is to free up more internal storage (by moving discrete files like media files from internal storage to SD) in case you need it to install more apps.
    and_youf likes this.
    09-08-2018 12:54 AM
    Thank you. Is there anything you can recommend to me to get the speed back on my S7? I don't download a bunch of garbage apps and keep things very clean and background usage minimal.
    09-12-2018 02:41 AM
    Thank you. Is there anything you can recommend to me to get the speed back on my S7? I don't download a bunch of garbage apps and keep things very clean and background usage minimal.
    I think it might be best if you ask that question in the S7 forum:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7/
    and_youf likes this.
    09-12-2018 07:33 AM
    Have you already tried wiping the cache partition? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028
    Rukbat likes this.
    09-12-2018 10:10 PM
    Have you already tried wiping the cache partition? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028
    Hi. I did clear the partition cache (after getting be the "no command" screen finally). I'm guessing that is the same as wiping. I thought it may have helped a bit but still sluggish and slow. Even unlocking the phone the screen is sluggish. I do not get it. I don't have bloatware and disable social apps that aren't uninstallable such as facebook and instagram.

I use device manager to optimize. I don't want to just start downloading utilities from Google Play randomly but would like to know if there is one that really works. I can get free Norton for Android (which apparently has some optimization features) but have Lookout.

I understand that on an SD card apps will actually be slower but thought if I got some photos onto one it may help but probably not. Plenty of free space as it is.

If I may ask two side questions. Why would I use both Samsung and Google backup? I backup things using Google drive are there additional features or methods that the Samsung backup offers?

Second thing was about internal batteries. How long are people averaging until they need to replace theirs? My phone is a 2016. Battery life is maybe 8 hrs if I don't have battery saver on.

Apologies for the novel.
    09-12-2018 11:11 PM
    I'd actually avoid using Samsung's Device Manager as well, since it's probably "Powered by Clean Master" (which is the king of useless cleaner apps, and which could also be contributing to performance issues). But in general, you may just be seeing the general drop in performance that I've heard about from multiple sources when it comes to that phone. You might want to try a factory reset, but that won't necessarily solve things either.

It's hard to say how different Samsung backup might be compared to Google backup. You can compare these two informational pages:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=PLqcmheY
    https://support.google.com/drive/ans...DAndroid&hl=en

Be aware that not all 3rd party apps backup their app data to your Google account. It depends on the developer.

It's also important to know that Samsung backup is really only helpful if you only use Samsung devices. You won't be able to restore a Samsung backup to a phone from a different manufacturer.

Battery lifespan is affected by many different factors -- Battery University is an excellent resource to learn more: https://batteryuniversity.com/. A battery that is taken care of can last many years without noticeable degradation. One that is abused can start to deteriorate within a year (and by abuse, I mean frequent deep discharges, as well as high ambient temperatures). I'd say that the average user will notice degradation after about 2 years (which is why most people don't worry about this -- 2 year upgrade cycle!).
    and_youf likes this.
    09-13-2018 12:51 AM
    Thank you very much for the informative reply. I am going to research the information you linked. Good point on the Samsung backup only being applicable to Samsung devices. I really think Google is enough. All I backup are my photos and contacts (I need to dig in there and double check the settings). Not as if I would backup an app so I don't see an advantage to Samsung backup unless there is a space issue (again this is me typing before I look at the information you provided).

See I tend to think that all of these optimization apps are pretty useless and am guessing you agree. Now that you mention known S7 performance issues I am off to research that. I am sure this will be rather upsetting as this is the first really nice Android I've had. Do you mean a drop in performance as a result of updating to Oreo or just in general their performance deteriorates abnormally? If so I'd like to take it in and have it replaced with an S8 using the protection plan (yeah right). If this is an innate S7 problem and not related to Oreo then I am a.) done with Samsung and b.) wondering why there isn't a class-action suit (okay I'm somewhat upset now).

This is going a bit off topic:

Battery replacement is actually covered under the protection plan although I could probably do it with some YT videos. I don't do the 2-year upgrade cycle anymore. Ever since mine and the other carriers switched from the old days where you sign the 2-year contract and then buy the latest phone dirt cheap. Maybe an S8 would be ~$70 and an S9 ~150. Now when I resign the contract I can choose to purchase the phone at a huge cost (S9 is $800) or lease it which turns into a huge cost. I know that the system switched awhile ago but I don't see any advantage on our end to this revision. 24 months on lease and you are looking at ~400 to not own a phone for two years (but they'll let you buy it out). I believe people argued that this made it easier to upgrade after 2 years but I don't see that at all.

Edit: There is an upgrade offer for a $300 credit to my account (in $16 monthly bill credit installments) so that would offset the lease in that then the difference is only about ~80. However when the lease runs out and I'm not offered this upgrade deal then I am stuck having to buy out the phone or leasing another phone perhaps without any promotions.
    09-13-2018 01:40 AM
    I don't know for sure what the underlying issue for the S7 is. It could be due to Oreo itself, or whatever tweaks Samsung had to make to the base Oreo code to make it work on the S7. It could be the Samsung Experience UI as well -- you might want to experiment with an alternative launcher like Nova.

If it's due to Oreo, you could consider flashing the previous Nougat firmware using Odin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...interface.html
    and_youf likes this.
    09-13-2018 12:51 PM
    I don't know for sure what the underlying issue for the S7 is. It could be due to Oreo itself, or whatever tweaks Samsung had to make to the base Oreo code to make it work on the S7. It could be the Samsung Experience UI as well -- you might want to experiment with an alternative launcher like Nova.

If it's due to Oreo, you could consider flashing the previous Nougat firmware using Odin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...interface.html
    Okay, well now I have a start to do some more research about the issues. I may look at Nova or I have Microsoft's launcher (pretty good reviews) on there I am going to try that. It will be amazing if that fixes performance (will have to basically learn a new phone but oh well). Better than a factory reset that does nothing. Was waiting on an update to Samsung Experience (I think to 9.5 which comes with Oreo 8.1) but whatever. Also nice to not waste time downloading useless "tools."

Thank you for your time and help! Have a good weekend.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-13-2018 05:30 PM
    Nova Launcher is very versatile, and it's pretty easy to set it up the way you're used to. If you want to go really basic, consider Niagara Launcher, which JR Raphael from Computerworld found to be quite good (although it's still in beta).
    and_youf likes this.
    09-13-2018 08:42 PM
    Nova Launcher is very versatile, and it's pretty easy to set it up the way you're used to. If you want to go really basic, consider Niagara Launcher, which JR Raphael from Computerworld found to be quite good (although it's still in beta).
    I am going to look into Nova. Just tried the MS launcher and it did feel snappier but that could have just been my imagination.
    09-13-2018 10:47 PM