Android Messages doesn't keep notifications

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've been using the original Google Pixel since it released and I originally used Google's stock Android Messages app. I eventually switched to Textra because it didn't clear unread message notifications from my notification drawer when I opened the app, like Android Messages does. I don't know anyone else who uses Android Messages, but is that supposed to happen? No matter how many notifications I have in the drawer, if I open the app at all, all the notification go away. Textra will keep them in the drawer and on the notification bar until I open the messages from that specific person.
I just can't believe I need a third party app in order to not have to always go back into my app to check unread messages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's what happens on Android Messages on my Pixel 2 XL as well. I think the rationale is that if you open the Messages app, you'll see all of your new messages bolded.

Historically, Android has always been about having plenty of 3rd party app options to round out your experience. The stock Android apps (which were gradually supplanted by Google's own apps) were very basic affairs, and Google's own apps also haven't been known for being jam-packed with customizability options.