How can I disable the “What can I do for you?” Bixby screen when unlocking my Note 9?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

It is very aggravating that this screen shows up about 50% of the time when unlocking my Note 9

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you're not tapping or tapping-and-holding the Bixby button when unlocking? Mine doesn't do that (and while you can't disable the Bixby Button on the Note 9 yet, you can disable some features like long-pressing it from the Bixby settings)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's the Bixby screen alright... Only way I can access that is by tapping the Bixby Button once or (if enabled) saying Hi, Bixby. Are you using a case that maybe is applying pressure to that button when you press the power button on yours or something?

If the button is causing it, you could try downloading BxActions and just setting it up to use Google Assistant instead of Bixby when the button is pressed. IF the button is the culprit, instead of seeing Bixby, now you'd see the Assistant prompt.

Douglas Smith7

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I thought that was some sort of Bixby teaser help screen, but now I get that it is actually Bixby (obviously I never use Bixby...). So, you got me thinking. Maybe I am accidental pressing the Bixby button when I unlock (I do not use a case). So I started unlocking all day without any appendage near the dreaded button. No luck, still getting Bixby popping up randomly when I unlock about 70% of the time. Maybe a faulty phone? I am going to call Samsung today.

BTW, bxActions works - sort of. If I leave the bxActions settings at default, Google Assistant comes up in a similar random manner as Bixby did. If I choose no action for the Bixby button, Bixby still comes up randomly but quickly disappears. A fix of sorts, but something still isn’t right.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, sounds like your button is screwed up. For some reason it's getting recognized as being pressed. If a quick air blow doesn't help (and if it still does it in Safe Mode), then I'd say it's time for you to try to get a warranty replacement...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance