My Alcatel android phone refuses to download antivirus app from Google Play. How do I proceed?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

A few days ago I was listening to some conspiracy theory videos on youtube and after a while I began to hear an unusual clicking that repeated throughout the video. I got concerned and turned off the phone completely. Hours later when I returned home, I tried to use the phone again and noticed that it was working slower and the clicking continued when listening to music on youtube.

This morning I tried to download the malware app from the Google play store and the phone instantly said that it had downloaded malware. But from my experience downloading apps, I know that apps usually take longer to download than two seconds. When I search my apps to see if the Malware app is listed, it is not. I've never had a virus on my phone before. PLEASE ADVISE.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's highly unlikely that you got malware from watching a video on YouTube (assuming you were using the YouTube app, and not on some random website with an embedded YouTube video on it).

What anti-malware app did you try to install? Are you saying that once you installed this app, the anti-malware app immediately warned you of malware on the phone?

Which Alcatel phone do you have? Try wiping the cache partition to see if that helps with any glitchy behavior. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33038

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The virus may miss that one and allow it to download.

At very worse, if downloading itself has been compromised, you might have to back up anything important (data only, like pictures, music, videos - no apps) and reflash the stock ROM.