I want to buy a cheap smartphone and use as a mini tablet simply to take photos and upload to a school app. Never want to connect and use as a phone. Found one for £19 in Argos a vodafone, would i have to activate the sim and put money on it or will it just work without doing that? is this even possible?
    09-25-2018 01:21 AM
    This question is probably asked about once a week. Yes, as long as you don't mind the "missing SIM card" message you'll always see. (Which is not a problem - I've run many phones that way for one reason or another - I just know I'm going to see it.)

As a computer, it will work as it is if a) it;s working, not broken and b) the battery is charged. As a computer connected to the internet it will work if a) the wifi adapter in it is working and b) you have a wifi signal.

You don't have to by a SIM, you don't have to activate the SIM and, if it has a SIM in it, I'd remove it. If the SIM is there, it's going to keep searching for a signal it can use, and that costs battery. If there's no SIM, you get one message when you turn it on and that's it until the next time you turn it on.
    09-25-2018 12:45 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The caveat here is that some phones make it very difficult or impossible to skip the activation screen, so there is a possibility a phone could prevent you from using it as a wi-fi only device without a SIM inserted.
    09-26-2018 10:43 PM