I have an LG Tribute Dynasty and i was checking to see if i could get it rooted. The support tech ask for my build number to determine if my phone could be rooted. And i was told it could not be. Why?
    09-26-2018 04:52 AM
    You don't root the phone, you root the ROM. To root, you have to install a file into a system folder, which you can only do if you're rooted, so it's a Catch 22. Someone has to find an exploit to use to force the phone to start with root privilege. As soon as that gets out, the manufacturer adds that to the next patch, to keep it from being used. (Rooting is considered a security hole, so it's fixed in a security patch.)

That said, anyone looking for you has to know which level of which ROM you're running to find a rooting method that will work on it. The build number is one clue. (But a later security patch on that build number could have plugged the hole, so the next question would have been the patch date.)

Since the phone is running Android 7.1, Magisk Systemless Root might work - if you can unlock the bootloader on that phone. But I wouldn't just start fooling around, or you could end up with an expensive paperweight. Find someone who knows about rooting, and let that person see if s/he can get the phone into the bootloader.

The next question is why you think you need root. It doesn't change the way any of your current apps work, it just allows apps that won't run without root to run. If you're not planning on running such an app, there's no reason to root a phone (unless you're an old Linux hand, and just feel squeezed into a little case without being able to run su when you need it).
    09-26-2018 02:47 PM