Phone drop causing future issues?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently dropped my phone (in a case, from not too high) onto the floor. It is fine, no physical damage or other issues. Camera, speaker, everything works fine. However, do I need to be worried about internal damage that could show up at a later date? In other words, can dropping a phone just once cause "delayed" damage?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the case, yes. The motherboard can crack. If you have any curve to the screen at all, there could be a microcrack in the screen that will start spreading from "shocks" such as putting the phone down. A wire or component pin that was barely making contact could have been knocked just a little looser - and will become disconnected in the future.

But if you have a good case, with thick TPU, you probably have nothing to worry about. My phone was sitting on a wireless charger plate when my leg caught the wire going into the charger, and the phone was catapulted into the wall about 6 feet away. Not just thrown - catapulted. It was in an Otterbox Defender case. No damage, even now, years later. Not even a mark on the wall. (All my phones get Otterbox Defender cases - if they don't make a case for that phone, I don't buy it. Especially with today's prices. I'm going to spend $800 on a "cheap: phone, put it down on the table just a bit too hard, and have to pay $200 to get it replaced? Not me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital