I have the A30 5049Z handset from MetroPCS, and this is the second phone of this model I've had since the first one had a ton of issues. But one of them was that the phone refused to let me use my Skullcandy earphones (these: Ink2 Wired Buds) with them. It will just not recognize that they are plugged in at all. I tried to find a reason as to why, but I'm coming up with no real good reason. Thing is, though, I had the malfunctioning A30 replaced with a new one, and the new one works fine, except it's STILL not accepting the Skullcandy earphones. It will take any other ones, and I know the Skullcandy ones work fine since I plugged them into my computer speakers and they are working perfectly. It's just this phone is just not letting me use them with it, and I can't find a reason why that is. Not sure if it's incompatible with these phones, or I have to do something else beforehand, or something else entirely, but I'm at a loss as to what I have to do to allow them to work with this phone.

Any help would be appreciated.
    10-02-2018 02:54 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are the earphones specifically "Made for iPhone"? If so, there can be compatibility issues, since iPhones use a slightly different headphone jack configuration than most Android devices. Compare the plugs of the Skullcandy and one of the other headphones that works on your phone side by side -- are the contact rings in the exact same location?
    10-02-2018 03:21 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are the earphones specifically "Made for iPhone"? If so, there can be compatibility issues, since iPhones use a slightly different headphone jack configuration than most Android devices. Compare the plugs of the Skullcandy and one of the other headphones that works on your phone side by side -- are the contact rings in the exact same location?
    Sorry, I didn't have an account when I wrote that, but I'm the OP of the question. The earbuds did not say this, and they did work in my older Samsung J3 Prime that I upgraded to the Alcatel. Plus, the plug does matchup exactly with some cheap 5 buck earbuds I have, and those do work in this phone.

Wishing there was a way to contact Skullcandy directly about this, since these are some dang good earbuds and this seems to be the only phone or place that doesn't want to play nice with these earbuds.
    10-04-2018 06:13 PM
    I'm sure you've done this already, but just to be sure -- you've made sure the plug is completely pushed in, and well-seated in the jack? If that doesn't help, then do you notice if you hear sound briefly if you slowly remove the plug from the jack?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-04-2018 10:54 PM